Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An unexpected discovery

Nyctimene

After a long break of more than six weeks, I was out last night despite the cold (-9° C) with the 8" f/4 Hofheim traveldob. Average transparency with 5.2 mag NELM.  M 44, the Beehive cluster in Cancer, gave a good starting target, followed by M 67 to the south. The galaxy NGC 2903, already in Leo, is for me always a harbinger of Spring and galaxy time (Leo and Virgo). It appeared bright, 2:1 elongated N-S,  somewhat mottled.

The Pocket Sky Atlas pointed me to two galaxies in Leo's neck, conveniently placed almost exactly between Gamma Leonis (Algieba) and Zeta Leonis (Adhafera), NGC 3190 (10.9 mag) and 3193 (11.0 mag). Both could be made out immediately with direct vision, 3190 appeared elongated roughly SE-NW, 3193 round, close to a 9.5 mag star just N. SkySafari showed two more galaxies in the same field of view (45 arc min at mag 133x). The first was 3185 to the SW and much fainter with 12.1 mag. After about a minute I was able to make out it's dim, round, uniform glow steadily, but with averted vision only. The really tough nut was the last one, 3187, with 13.3 mag, close to 3190. Observing patiently for about ten minutes, gradually, for about ten percent of observing time and absolutely at the limit of vision, I got some glimpses of it, of course without any visible structures. Very pleased with these four galaxies in one field, and so to bed.

This morning, I did some research on these galaxies -? ---??! ----!!!-- I had unknowingly observed the "Hickson 44" galaxy group! With an 8"! What a surprise (and, AFAIK, a first observation for me). The next target for the 18", of course...

This group seems to be really rewarding - two  conveniently located "easy" galaxies, a dimmer third one, and 3187 as a real challenge, but doable (with some experience). So, all you 8"-12" owners, give it a try, and have fun!

Thanks for reading

Stephan

That is very interesting Stephen and I plan on taking my 8" dob out more and will note this encounter. Good that you did a thorough research, it could possibly be surprising how unknowingly it is sometimes to encounter vague, dim objects without fully grasping what it might have been, often whilst in pursuit of something else. Then if not marked in your sky atlas can become forgotten. Also good to learn that you had got out after as you say six weeks. I had recently had a bit of an accident on my bicycle a few days ago which I am slowly recovering from. It will be March before I will be able to next get out observing so good to start gathering some plans and ideas together. 

That is a lovely little group of galaxies. Good work to get 3 of them. The fourth is a real struggle in 10”.

This is Arp galaxy group 316 (see below). Contained in the heroically named ‘Catalogue of Peculiar Galaxies’ (mostly made up of interacting galaxies).

C0EE0868-6F70-4BD4-95E4-0936E083D1C5.thumb.jpeg.aa2059077409c0425f09d44de7129b8c.jpeg

If you like the galaxy groups. Aside from the famous triplet, are Arp 94 (NGC3226/7), NGC3607 & friends, the fainter NGC3684 & co, and the M105 group; are all in Leo and are worth seeking out.

Happy hunting.

Paul

Had the pleasure of observing these galaxies just a few Nights ago. Only managed to pick out 3 of them (using 8" dob). 

And NGC 2903 is a Nice Galaxy, quite Bright and easy to locate . 

Enjoyable read Stephan :happy11:.

Rune

36 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

Nice report. Don't forget Hickson 92 AKA Stephan's Quintet ;-)

One of my first targets long ago in 1986 with the new red beast, a Coulter Odyssey 13.1" f/4.5, directly imported from the US company, prepaid.... all went well. Under Bortle 3-4 skies, it opened up new horizons for me, still have this scope:DSC_0431.thumb.JPG.e6678eaec4326c80a8896c3b49d85a14.JPG

Must  then have been one of the first bigger Dobs here in southern Germany.

Stephan

Hi @Nyctimene, I was inspired to try for Hickson 44 after reading your post, and last night I went for it with the 10-inch. I started with my 20mm Myriad (x60), and easily found the brighter two galaxies. Once in the right area, I switched in the Explore Scientific 8.8mm (x136), and, just like you said in your post, the third emerged after a couple of minutes. The last one (3187) took longer, but after about 15 minutes of letting the scene drift across the FOV I spotted it ... then it was gone ... then back again :)

Really thrilled to have nabbed this little cluster (and from the back garden!). It's a cracking target.

Kev

Well done Kev. That’s dedication! Galaxy clusters are great.

10” is the perfect scope for these targets. Nice wide views and enough aperture to unlock loads of the fainter stuff.

My 16” is rubbish. I can only view the  Markarian Chain 3 or 4 galaxies per fov.???. In the 10” (& a sizeable investment in wide eyepieces) could show the whole majestic arc of galactic splendour.

Paul

Archived