Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield_winners.thumb.jpg.89a389e06ea148084fc6cb2e2cf32749.jpg

Darkmatterfox

HELP ME FOCUS PLEASE // NIKON TO CELESTRON

I just bought a T-ring adapter for my nikon d3000 and want to connect it to my celestron powerseeker 127EQ, I have read some tutorials about focusing but can't understand it clearly.. (English is not my native language and there's no much info in spanish) 

SO 20180213_191211.thumb.jpg.7eac194c0c3aa8534df5c0690e174f42.jpg20180213_191136.thumb.jpg.bd5bcd228a826e6a4b0ebdf8296b991e.jpg

I saw in a video that I can use a barlow lens to achieve focusing but I'm not sure if this works, I have a 3x barlow.

Am I missing something? Is there any other piece I'm missing for achieving focus? I have seen many videos where they connect the t-ring to another weird tubes to enlarge everything but I dont know if I need those.. I'm a total noob in this :(

Can someone explain to me how prime focus works? What else I need to buy to focus? Help please :(

Sunshine    182

Ok, i understand you may be totally new so i will try to explain as easily as i can from the best of my knowledge, every telescope is designed to gather light and bring it to a point where an eyepiece then focuses that light, that point is called the focal plane.

In your case your telescope is a 1000mm which means the light travels 1000mm before it reaches the focal plane, thats where your eyepiece goes, now, when you add a camera you must understand that instead of an eyepiece the light now has to reach the camera sensor which is deeper inside the camera than where the eyepiece would be. This means that the light has to travel further than its focal plane to reach the camera sensor because it is farther away than where the eyepiece usually sits, to remedy this you can use a barlow between the telescope and camera, but i would not use a 3X barlow for that, a barlow multiplies the focal length of the telescope by 2 or 3 depending on the barlow so with a 2X barlow your telescope will be 2000mm now.

Try a 2X barlow in the scope and then attach your camera to the barlow, you should be able to achieve focus, i could be wrong but 3X is too much, your field of view will be so narrow.

HEXZ0R    14

go get a nice 2x Barlow Lens with T-adaptor and you are good to go , 3x Barlow is way too much for this scope :) 

Edited by HEXZ0R

bottletopburly    571
4 hours ago, Darkmatterfox said:

there's no much info in spanish) 

Always use google it can translate pages for you within the browser ,

Demonperformer    1,012
30 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

use google it can translate pages for you within the browser

and sometimes the translation will even be halfway decent ... sometimes! :icon_biggrin:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SiriusDoggy
      Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this but I'm always forgetting where certain features are in the hand controller so I created this menu tree for the CGX with the current firmware.  Man, what a pain it was. I didn't realize how deep the structure was until I started handwriting it out. And then I find out the manual for the CGX-L has the menu tree in it! Why didn't they include it in the manual for the CGX? They are pretty much identical though I went into a little more detail in mine.
      CGX Menu Tree
      I can send it to anyone that wants it as a PDF if you send me a private message with your email address. 
    • By Bino Pete
      Celestron XLT 2" diagonal
      Includes 2" - 1.25" adapter
      SCT fit
      original packaging

The diagonal is in excellent condition

May swap for Baader Hyperion 68 degree 10mm eyepiece or Baader Aspheric eyepiece 31mm or 36mm - these must be in excellent condition with caps etc

Price includes postage (1st class signed for)
      £110  £89
      Lancashire area
      Cash payment or fees paid via Paypal.

• By Jon2070
      I am new to imaging with telescopes, so far i have had good results with DSLR lenses mounted on a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer. 
      I have the opportunity to use an Orion Optics ODK12, I understand that I will require a T ring adaptor and one or more extension tubes, has anyone had experience attaching a full frame DSLR to an ODK12 or similar that can point me in the right direction please?
    • By jjosefsen
      Hi,
      Request: Can someone with a Nikon D5300 upload a couple of RAW Dark frames, preferably of 120secs or longer duration, and if possible with the approximate ambient temperature when shot??

Reason:
      I am considdering finding a used Nikon D5300 for astrophotography instead of my wifes D7100.
      The consensus around the web is that the D7100 and it's Toshiba sensor has really bad dark current noise, particurlarly when doing longer subs.
      This fits nicely with the results im getting after having cranked up the sub length, it is REALLY bad.
      I would like to compare the darks of my D7100 to those of a D5300 as it is supposedly one of the best "entry level" DSLR's when it comes to sensitivity and low noise.

Thank you in advance.
    • By Xiga
      Hey guys
      We had a couple of clear night over the weekend (finally!) so i decided to put the man-flu to one side and get back to imaging. I mostly went for the Rosette Nebula (still a WIP for now) but once it passed behind the neighbour's house i was starved of any other Ha targets. The big, bright moon was well up at this stage, but the skies were crystal clear so it seemed like such a waste not to use them. So, i decided to go for M81 & M82, seeing as they were well positioned, and just hoped that shooting galaxies under a bright moon wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as shooting nebulae in RGB under the same conditions. 
      Due to the lateness of the night, and my own health limitations, all i could manage was 140 mins of Ha on the 1st night, and 90 mins of RGB on the 2nd night. I made a boo-boo on night 2, and captured at ISO 800 instead of 200, which resulted in most of the stars being blown-out (i really, really hate how SGP is obsessed with ISO 800. why won't it let me set a default?!). The Ha data wasn't really of much use if i'm being honest. The OSC data picked up the Ha portions of M81 just fine, so it was just the jets in M82 where it only really added something, although i do think it was worth it in the end. 
      Here's the capture details:
      9x 600s RGB (2" IDAS-D1)
      7 x 1200s Ha (2" 7nm Baader)
      30 Flats, 50 Bias, dithered aggressively every frame
      Stacked in APP, Processed in PS (i used the Ha data for the Red channel in the RGB image). 
      SW80ED, HEQ5-Pro. 
      It's obviously light on exposure, i would ideally have liked at least 3 hrs of RGB, but beggars can't be choosers i suppose, so i'm calling this one done and moving on 
      I haven't done much RGB or galaxy imaging, so C&C welcome as always guys.