SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Storage/Transport Solution for new Telescope - Help!

A dew zapper would keep an objective lens warm enough I presume.

A warning  :excl:for handling a scope in freezing weather, bare hands on cold metal, numbing/numbed hands on cold metal, woollen or fleecy gloves handling slippery tubes are all risky.

Those thermal gripper gloves you can buy in hardware stores are good for gripping. Put OTA etc in its case or box (boxes can get soggy) or handles and carry it to safety. Beware slippery ground!

Easy to want to rush in for a :coffee22: and forget the above. :evil5:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Thanks for the suggestion. The gloves I have are useless for dismantling my gear and that is the only time my hands get ridiculously cold. These might be the answer. 

These might be worth a try https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASTROGLOVES-Astronomy-Specially-Astronomers-Practical/dp/B0173PG4QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519846760&sr=8-1&keywords=astro+gloves

• 6 months later...
On 13/02/2018 at 23:21, Phil73805 said:

I have just bought (I bought it in January and the 'scope just arrived today) a Skywatcher Startravel 120mm Refractor together with an AZ5 Mount & Portable Tripod as a Grab & Go Telescope. The problem is that I am really struggling to find a decent quality storage/transport bag or hard case that will fit it. Not to mention the AZ5 and the tripod! I mistakenly bought one of the Geoptik bags for what turned out to be the wrong mount but I'm making it work by putting the mount in its cardboard box together with the extension and the flexible slow mo controls in their boxes to fill out the case and that'll do for now. The telescope however is a chunky beast (to which I added a Finder scope, not fond of red dot sight) and I am desperate for bag or case that will fit it.

I cannot leave the telescope set up so it has to be put away each time and good cases/storage bags will make the world of difference to taking the telescope to darker skies and keeping it safe at home. Do any of you own this telescope (and mount)? Have you found a good case that you can recommend? Please let me know! :) 

Hi.

I have a Skywatcher 120mm telescope and a Skywatcher synscan az mount. I have mine in a travel case then I can wheel my scope down to where I do my observing and set my scope up. 

I bought my case off a flea market for £10.00 and everything fits in the case. The straps inside the case hold my telescope and mount in very securely.

Archived