Narrowband

Celestron CG5 not working properly

Joeistotalycool

h Recently my celestron CG5 advanced GT has been acting up. First my hand controller died, so I replaced that with a new one which seemed to have solved my problem. Than my power switch stoped working properly and it would take me 20+ attempts to get it working. Now whenever I turn it on the RA starts randomly and keeps moving for about 7 second really loudly. Now it just does not track in ra, in the south anyway. I am very lost. Any Ideas?

Hi Joe.

Are these problems all related I wonder?

You'll  need a dvm to make some checks.

First thought is power supply, is it giving the right volts under load? Random movement is often due to low volts

Test the power switch by measuring the resistance between tbe pos and neg contacts in the socket, high in off,  much lower in on.

If okay every time after switching 5 or 6 times, plug in the power and switch on.

If power led on the scope doesn't light, wiggle the plug in case it is intermittant or even the wrong size.

What's  wrong with the original handset, does it light up but not initialise, or completely dead ?

Michael 

On 13/02/2018 at 21:39, michael8554 said:

Hi Joe.

Are these problems all related I wonder?

You'll  need a dvm to make some checks.

First thought is power supply, is it giving the right volts under load? Random movement is often due to low volts

Test the power switch by measuring the resistance between tbe pos and neg contacts in the socket, high in off,  much lower in on.

If okay every time after switching 5 or 6 times, plug in the power and switch on.

If power led on the scope doesn't light, wiggle the plug in case it is intermittant or even the wrong size.

What's  wrong with the original handset, does it light up but not initialise, or completely dead ?

Michael 

Hi, thanks for the late response but I believe I have figured out the problem. I believe the original power supply was slightly to large and was under volting. As for the old handset, it was completely dead and would not turn on. However I have already replaced the handset, so I'm not to concerned about that now.

Archived