Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies_winners.thumb.jpg.92ab73c3699031e815897184054b8f7c.jpg

mikey2000

M33 - my first go at including Ha

Here it is - my first attempt at incorporating Ha in to a LRGB picture.  For that matter, it's only my second proper try at LRGB - I'm going to have a busy year learning this stuff, I think!

I think I may have oversaturated things, in my enthusiasm.  Also does it look maybe a bit too magenta?  My coma corrector still needs that little bit of final fine tuning (some elongation in the corners) (this is a minor crop)

39533012834_5cb781c068_o.jpg

50mins Ha (5min exposures)
49mins L (60s exposures)
23mins each for R G and B (60s exposures)
Total 168 mins, towards the Milton Keynes skyglow

Taken over two nights with my new ASI1600M-Pro.

• Like 10

Looks a good image, but, a bit over processed. I'd go for something a bit more subtle.

Well, I am certainly not expert at colour images, but I would agree with your over saturated comment.

But even so, a good first attempt.

Hi,

That's a really nice image, you've obviously got some good data there, though I would agree with the above on saturation. It's a very fine line between getting the most out of an image and over-processing -- I tend to be a bit too conservative in the processing, and probably lose some of the faintest details.

Could you perhaps post a Ha jpg? I'd be really interested to see what a galaxy looks like in that wavelength. :) 

John

Edited by JohnSadlerAstro

Fast feedback! Thanks!

Here's a desaturated version:

26375514208_f1a1bb8fde_o.jpg

• Like 3

I’m a fan of the more saturated look. The only thing I’d tweak in both images is there are a few green patches in and around the arms which could do with a blast of HLVG or SNCR depending on your processing software.

John - here you go - just a quick stretch'n'curves.  I think I boosted it a little more for the combi image

Ken  - thanks!  I'll have a look at those processes. (in PI)

m33 in Ha

39536855284_b3a55df301_k.jpg

It certainly benefits from adding the Ha and you have managed that very well.  

Personally I don't think it is over saturated, I think it is an illusion coming from the fact that the data is clipped.  i.e. the black point has been brought too low which is a shame as you will have lost some of the finer detail.

What processing software are you using Mikey?

Carole 

Carole, I'm trialling PixInsight - it's a bit of a steep learning curve but I'm getting there.   Excuse my lack of knowledge but by "black point too low", do you mean I've tried to make the background too dark?