Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies.thumb.jpg.d7ac9ec2b53bebbaffa8a76a92120303.jpg

David P Osborne

First Light with new BST EPs

Recommended Posts

This post could have gone in observing but decided on here. First light last night with my new collection of BST Starguider EPs replacing a mixture of stock and other EPs which were stolen following break in at home address (have posted elsewhere on this). M45 was resplendent with the 25mm. Trapezium in M42 with 12mm and barlow resolved into four lovely sharp pinpoints in the midst of the nebula, then onto BBC Sky at Night Magazine star of the month Castor and again resolved the double into pinpoint sharp components. I never tire of either of these. Looked for M35 but due to light pollution had difficulty homing in even with Telrad on the guide star to get there - so this might be for a darker site (i.e. not my back garden). I am delighted with the set of 12mm, 15mm and 25mm. Huge improvement on what was stolen. Thanks again for the advice on my earlier post which guided me to decision to get the BSTs. Now can't wait for the next clear sky - when I think I will try for Leo Triplet and perhaps some of the clusters in February Skt at Night magazine article. Having read this through perhaps it should have gone in observing section :icon_biggrin:.

Edited by David P Osborne
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wookie1965    1,584

I have the full set apart from the 3.2mm which is too high powered for my scopes, brilliant eyepieces for the money I have had some brilliant views with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Spock    5,295

I'm pleased you are enjoying your new eyepieces. There's nothing like new kit to get the excitement going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charic    2,273

I only wish there was a 6mm in the collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charic if there was I would be more than tempted. The 5mm would be presumably too much for my 150PL? The 8mm is too close to the Myriad and as you observed in my earlier post/thread I was very attached to it and so had to be replaced like for like. But leaving aside the FOV the definition to me of the BSTs is as good as the Myriad (or vice versa).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ronl    728

I am glad you are enjoying the Starguiders, I love them all, hope the weather is kind

to you so you can enjoy them again.

Clear Sky's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charic    2,273
4 hours ago, David P Osborne said:

The 5mm would be presumably too much for my 150PL? The 8mm is too close to the Myriad

Yes 5mm would be testing your f/8 focal ratio for most targets on the 150PL. Focal lengths longer than 8mm will be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Apollo_95    6

I am relatively new to astronomy but I am loving my skywatcher 130P heritage (F5) that Ive had since last summer.  The stock 10mm EP that came with it doesnt get great reviews but as this is my first scope I dont have anything to compare it with. Ive read alot of posts & the BST EP’s get great reviews & are perfect for my budget. Ive seem some pretty great things already with the stock 25mm EP like Orion Nebular & Pleiades. After reading the reviews on the BST EP’s Im swithering over getting the 25mm or perhaps the 15/18mm BSTs. I suppose until I get one I wont really know how much ‘better’ they will be in reality. Most stock EPs seem to get bad reviews but does anyone have any advice? Should I stick or twist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charic    2,273

The 'stock' 25mm should be fine! The 10mm is less favourable, not always due to the materials ( probably uses the same glass as the 25mm?) but due to the comfort of the 10mm,  the eye relief and the field of view! these can often be bettered? The BST's are a good honest and affordable first upgrade, and in my case the  only  eyepieces I need. I have tried  'better' but  the difference/improvement  was minimal to say the least.

Each to their own when it comes to eyepiece selection, but the BST's should fare well on your scope. The 5mm would match your scopes focal ratio providing an exit pupil of 1mm and a power of 130X but its use may be limited. The 8mm and 12mm EPs  are worth checking out, return them if your not satisfied, ONLY you can decide if they suit/fit your needs/setup and most importantly, what your eye see's? 

If I'm not mistaken, its the same basic two eyepieces that is supplied throughout the Skywatcher range! My 10mm still works, but never gets used in favour of the 8mm that replaced it.

Edited by Charic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet    622
1 hour ago, Apollo_95 said:

I am relatively new to astronomy but I am loving my skywatcher 130P heritage (F5) that Ive had since last summer.  The stock 10mm EP that came with it doesnt get great reviews but as this is my first scope I dont have anything to compare it with. Ive read alot of posts & the BST EP’s get great reviews & are perfect for my budget. Ive seem some pretty great things already with the stock 25mm EP like Orion Nebular & Pleiades. After reading the reviews on the BST EP’s Im swithering over getting the 25mm or perhaps the 15/18mm BSTs. I suppose until I get one I wont really know how much ‘better’ they will be in reality. Most stock EPs seem to get bad reviews but does anyone have any advice? Should I stick or twist?

I bought a couple of 25mm BSTs to use in my binoviewer and discovered they are not up to the same standard as the other (5, 8, 12) BSTs the I've used at f6. With that in mind I would suggest getting the 24mm Explore Scientific 68° instead of the 25mm BST. All the other BSTs should be good though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Louis D    1,094
6 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I bought a couple of 25mm BSTs to use in my binoviewer and discovered they are not up to the same standard as the other (5, 8, 12) BSTs the I've used at f6. With that in mind I would suggest getting the 24mm Explore Scientific 68° instead of the 25mm BST. All the other BSTs should be good though. 

I settled on 23mm Vite/Svbony 62 degree aspherics with the eyecups removed for my widest field pair in binoviewers.  They are at least as well corrected at f/6 as the 25mm Meade HD-60s and a lot smaller and lighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ricochet    622
11 hours ago, Louis D said:

I settled on 23mm Vite/Svbony 62 degree aspherics with the eyecups removed for my widest field pair in binoviewers.  They are at least as well corrected at f/6 as the 25mm Meade HD-60s and a lot smaller and lighter.

I have a couple of those too. Optically quite nice but my binoviewer doesn't quite grip the undercut barrels properly and I just don't get on with the difference between the eye relief and the eyecup height when using them as a pair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Louis D    1,094
1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

my binoviewer doesn't quite grip the undercut barrels properly

I have similar issues with many undercut barrels.  My workaround is to hold the eyepiece as firmly as possible against the shoulder of the holder while tightening the locking collar.  It usually holds them well enough for an observing session.  I greatly prefer no undercuts.  It makes switching eyepieces in the dark much quicker and more secure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New/replacement eyepieces now have their new home. Looking forward, if skies stay clear to exploring Mare Imbrium region tonight.

WP_20180223_18_15_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.ce05f9643ffb97588d5027d056490551.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×