Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

Hi all.  Im in the UK and have just got an EQ1 reflector scope.  i have set it all up, seen stars and the moon........BUT.........cannot zoom in for a close-up using my lenses!!!!!!!   what am i doing wrong?  i line up the mirrors and can see items with the lens fully extended, but when i try to zoom IN, it goes blurred and fades away.  ARGHHHHHHHH  help please   many thanks   ray 

Hi, and welcome to SGL.

The "dials" that you used to zoom in - in fact don't zoom in at all but are there to find focus - make image sharp. Finding good focus is one of the essentials of observing.

You can change magnification by changing eyepieces. Most scopes come with 2 eyepieces. One will give higher magnification than the other.

If you happen to have manual that comes with scope - please take some time to read it. It will explain how to use telescope in more detail.

You can also check out some nice introductory videos on internet on how to use telescope. Let me see if I can quickly find some links for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NBJNYWkN4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DS24icM5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22pmi3oP57w

These are just examples, but there are plenty more videos on youtube that explain things and show you proper way to handle telescope and observe.

Hope this helps.

19 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Hi all.  Im in the UK and have just got an EQ1 reflector scope.  i have set it all up, seen stars and the moon........BUT.........cannot zoom in for a close-up using my lenses!!!!!!!   what am i doing wrong?  i line up the mirrors and can see items with the lens fully extended, but when i try to zoom IN, it goes blurred and fades away.  ARGHHHHHHHH  help please   many thanks   ray 

Hello and welcome to SGL. Normal telescope eyepieces have a fixed focal length so don't have a "zoom", you need a variable focal length zoom eyepiece to do that. You can work out the magnification an eyepiece gives with your telescope by dividing the focal length of the telescope (you can find that info printed on the side of the telescope) by the focal length of the eyepiece. Lets say that your telescope has a focal length of 500mm and the eyepieces supplied with it 10mm and 25mm respectively. the 10mm eyepiece will give you 500/10 = 50x magnification and the 25mm 500/25 = 20x magnification. If your telescope was also supplied with a 2x barlow lens these magnifications are doubled if you combine the barlow and eyepiece.

Many thanks for that info.   Very helpful.   I shall endeavour to apply this 

Do not expect to see any detail on stars. They will all appear as bright points of light. They are too far away to resolve any detail other than their colour.