Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
sloz1664

NGC 2264 Cone Nebula, Christmas Tree Cluster in Ha

NGC 2264 taken over two nights in the last week. 25 x 20 mins using WO Star71 & Atik 383L+ with Astronomik 6nm filter. Captured using SGPro & processed in Pixinsight.

NGC_2264_Ha.thumb.jpg.60701612251c599af87225019a65eb8f.jpg

Steve

• Like 8

Also like to add the RGB image. 36 x 10 min exposures. Taken with AA80 triplet and QHY8 Pro. Captured in MaximDL and processed in APP / Pixinsight.

NGC_2264_RGB_180.thumb.jpg.7166065fa00aa0e4cb050d8b3e2d99e1.jpg

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Richard. I'm always a little apprehensive of posting on the forum. :)

Steve

53 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

I'm always a little apprehensive of posting on the forum.

Don't be, although I am too.  But the criticism I get is well worth it.....  

This is a nice image, and one of a few targets that I actually prefer in mono.  You were lucky to get two clear nights last week - we had just one.  But I like this image.  However, I should say that for over eight hours of exposure, your Ha image seems to me to be a bit noisy at full resolution.  Is this due to the JPEG conversion or something else?

Chris

20 minutes ago, cfpendock said:

Don't be, although I am too.  But the criticism I get is well worth it.....  

This is a nice image, and one of a few targets that I actually prefer in mono.  You were lucky to get two clear nights last week - we had just one.  But I like this image.  However, I should say that for over eight hours of exposure, your Ha image seems to me to be a bit noisy at full resolution.  Is this due to the JPEG conversion or something else?

Chris

Yes the jpeg conversion has added some weird artefacts. I'll convert to tiff and see if that's any better 

Steve

I used to use jpeg and it gave some funny results - now I use png - much better.  Tiffs are too big in my opinion.

Chris

2 minutes ago, cfpendock said:

I used to use jpeg and it gave some funny results - now I use png - much better.  Tiffs are too big in my opinion.

Chris

I'll try png then :)

Steve