Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eskimo Neb - Can't Find it !

chrisdg1968

I've tried on a number of occasions to find the Eskimo, nice and dark last night so had a hunt around with my 32mm giving 37.5x.  Despite finding a very dim M1, I still could not get bearings on the Eskimo which I thought was supposed to be brighter.

Any tips ??

It's bright (and quite green!) and looks like a defocused star, but at 37x it's going to be tiny - it's less than an arcminute across. 

Use something like a 30' field, then star hop from Delta Gem, east and south slightly to 63 Gem. From there, go south one and a half fields and you should be able to see it to the east of the field of view. Averted vision makes it pop into view very well!

True, as our friend coatesg says, 37x can make it look like an anonymous star, especially if turbulence is strong. Try a little more magnification. I often spotted it from the city with 80mm scopes, not difficult at all unless you assume it will be much larger than a star and its small halo of scattered light. Tune your eyes to a small bluish round soft cloud, and you'll spot it with ease when you scan the right section of sky.

Yes. A bit more mag should do it! Double the mag and it will look like rubbish unfocused star. Then pile on the mag and enjoy!

I was viewing it at 200x the night before last. Galaxies were my main targets for the season, so didn’t linger long.

Paul

12 hours ago, chrisdg1968 said:

I've tried on a number of occasions to find the Eskimo, nice and dark last night so had a hunt around with my 32mm giving 37.5x.  Despite finding a very dim M1, I still could not get bearings on the Eskimo which I thought was supposed to be brighter.

Any tips ??

Don't feel bad, I had a hard time finding it myself last night- like others say up the mag and a widefield EP helps. Once found this can be a super good object showing fine radial filaments and a 2 toned green. I had over 300x on it last night with the 15", what a sight!

6 minutes ago, chrisdg1968 said:

Thanks for the tips all.  I was using a standard rdf and a 150 dob.

Next clear evening I'll try to bag it !

It should come out pretty well in the FOV of your dob. As long as you can get the the stars as sharp as they can be with your scope, with a 20mm EP it should show up a a fuzzy star, that will appear brightest and with very slight averted vision used. Higher magnifications will make it larger, but slightly dimmer. Good luck with the hunt! :) 

To find the Eskimo nebula, start from Wasab (Delta Gem); almost two degrees to the east, you will find with low mag a star arc, resembling Corona Borealis, of about 45 arc min diameter with 63 Gem as the brightest member. When you get this arc into the field of view, the Eskimo is just 37 arc min (roughly a full moon's diameter) SE of 63 Gem. You can see the arc quite well in Stu's screenshot above, it's located just NE of the inner red ring, extending beyond the blue ring up to the second red ring. Try to spot a star, that is giving a "not quite sharp" image, then crank up the magnification. Good luck!

Stephan

38 minutes ago, chrisdg1968 said:

Okay folks found it tonight at last, and pretty quickly thanks to your tips.  Was definitely one of those ‘how did I miss this before’ moments.  As recommended I pushed up the mag to 150x and what a difference it made !

Cheers

Chris

Well done mate! :) 

• 1 month later...

I observed this nebula in December. Used a 8inch gso dob. With 25mm eyepiece. Very dark skies. In the position where I should have found Eskimo I saw a small Fuzzy patch of light. I hope that's what I was looking for

6 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

I observed this nebula in December. Used a 8inch gso dob. With 25mm eyepiece. Very dark skies. In the position where I should have found Eskimo I saw a small Fuzzy patch of light. I hope that's what I was looking for

Sounds like it. Add some more power and you will see more detail.

Archived