Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA

FLO

1 hour ago, Susaron said:

Regarding the ED72, I was fortunate enough to find one in a Spanish shop. While waiting for the reducer to be available, I have seriously tested in good sky conditions for visual duties.

Here my impressions:

Pros:

Highly transportable, the hard case is a beauty of stiffness itself, with holes for the diagonal, a filter and a eyepiece ( a Baader zoom makes the perfect choice). It can be handled with one one hand.

Color correction, though in the edges fails a little bit, the center is sharp and very well corrected. We did observations with Albireo and the double-double in Lyra, this one at around x150 was splitted, so it is a good scope for double chase. Also Rasalgheti (Alpha Herculae) was splitted.

Cons:

The poor focuser travel, al low magnification is impossible to focus, only with eyepieces from 16mm to 5mm I was able to focus correctly, the inward focus travel is non-existent, so bad point if you try to watch rich open clusters.

In brief, a wonderful grab and go scope, which is a serious contender in size and price to any similar 70 or 80mm binocular.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I am going to go for the Altair Astro 80mm F6ed..... Not decided for sure but that is the latest contender.  More money.....oh well you only live once!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Dragon_Astro said:

The OTA was actually in stock with another retailer, out of stock already in a day.

These are gonna be like hot cakes! ?

Ditto.

That is why we haven't mentioned it. We had enough to clear all backorders (we had to fight for those!) but that was all.  And we don't have an ETA for the next delivery either... ? 

Steve 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2018 at 12:08, moise212 said:

I just noticed that FLO reduced the shipment estimation for the reducer from 40-60 days to 20-25 days.

20 work days later and the estimation is still 20-25 days. Other shops in Europe are expecting the shipment to arrive mid September. Seems like we need to wait some more.

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

20 work days later and the estimation is still 20-25 days. Other shops in Europe are expecting the shipment to arrive mid September. Seems like we need to wait some more.

Unfortunately we still don't know. The UK distributor says they haven't left Synta's factory yet so we can only display our best guess ETA. (The UK distributor also distributes to most of Europe, including Germany). 

Apologies for the delay, we will post an update as soon as we are able. 

HTH, 

Steve 

2 hours ago, moise212 said:

I saw that, but wondered if they are just guessing and trying to get business with a "date"... 

Not with Teleskop Service, when they say "in stock" they have it in stock for real. I ordered from them twenty times, they can be trusted. The exchange rate is not good for brits, though.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10419_Skywatcher-Teleskop-Evostar-72mm-f-6-ED-Apo-Refraktor.html

52 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Not with Teleskop Service, when they say "in stock" they have it in stock for real. I ordered from them twenty times, they can be trusted. The exchange rate is not good for brits, though.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10419_Skywatcher-Teleskop-Evostar-72mm-f-6-ED-Apo-Refraktor.html

They're one of the sources who expect the flattener to be available mid September. That's also in line with the rumors I heard from my local SW provider a while ago.

I didn't know what Steve said:

2 hours ago, FLO said:

(The UK distributor also distributes to most of Europe, including Germany).

Anyway, it seems that we'll wait. Quite an unpredictable strategy SW adopted lately ?

4 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Not with Teleskop Service, when they say "in stock" they have it in stock for real. 

Ben the Ignorant, please forgive me if I am unaware what German retailers are saying or doing. We are a UK company and this is a UK forum.

I see their website estimates delivery of the reducer/flattener, from the manufacturer, at around 15.09.2018. That is mid-Sep. Which is what moise212 said. And what we ourselves are estimating (25x working days is mid-Sep). So we agree. Jolly good ?

Steve 

1 minute ago, FLO said:

I see also their price for the reducer/flattener is £206. UK retailers are charging £169. 

I really need to get some stuff from you until there are no additional taxes :D

1 minute ago, FLO said:

We will look forward to meeting you ? 

Last time when I visited, it was mostly clear for the whole 4 or 5 days and nights. If you believe this is a sign, just get me some tickets and I'm on my way.

After increasing further more the spacing between the flattener and the sensor, the stars are looking better. I increased the length by 5mm or more. I don't have a full sub available now, but I'm not lying ?

Anyway, I've now a result with this scope. This image was not just for testing, this scope was the only scope I took with me. Full story here:

I will upload the animation and a full sized sub later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, bokchoy ninja said:

Is this scope compatible with a star adventurer / dslr setup?

I guess you'll receive very different answers based on personal experience from SA owners!

SkyWatcher QA is highly inconsistent: while apparently you find samples capable of several minutes unguided at 200mm FL, I have not been very lucky, which is a huge understatement, with the four (4!) Star Adventurers I used, two of them borrowed.

Even with perfect Polar Alignment, due to Periodic Error or higher frequency harmonics none of them is able to consistently track unguided above 100mm for over 1 - 1.5 minutes , and two of these can't even manage that. So, in my case I'd have to guide to use the 72ED: no issue for three of the SA I have tested, but the fourth can't even achieve that!

Weight wise the 72ED should be fine, but you'd need to include the guidescope and camera too, which will ask for more counterweight than the stock one. Another option is to assess the maximum exposure time unguided and stack A LOT of subs, I guess this is the route some users may decide to go: if you manage to get a decent % of keepers at 1 minute unguided it could be fine. So, depending on the fact that you already own the SA and are satisfied with its performance you can make your choice. Anyway, from reviews I have read, this is common for this price tag, and I'm pretty sure it won't be different with the iOptron. The Astrotrac might be a totally different story, but the price is different too!

Finally, consider that dec balancing could be critical due to backfocus: the camera gets quite far from the mounting point on the SA.

Sorry to be that critic, but as I wrote my experience wasn't that positive with this tracker. This being said, I have successfully used a 72ED @f6 (Not the SkyWatcher one, but shouldn't matter) guided with the SA. with sub length up to 150". 

Fabio

6 hours ago, FaDG said:

I guess you'll receive very different answers based on personal experience from SA owners!

SkyWatcher QA is highly inconsistent: while apparently you find samples capable of several minutes unguided at 200mm FL, I have not been very lucky, which is a huge understatement, with the four (4!) Star Adventurers I used, two of them borrowed.

Even with perfect Polar Alignment, due to Periodic Error or higher frequency harmonics none of them is able to consistently track unguided above 100mm for over 1 - 1.5 minutes , and two of these can't even manage that. So, in my case I'd have to guide to use the 72ED: no issue for three of the SA I have tested, but the fourth can't even achieve that!

Weight wise the 72ED should be fine, but you'd need to include the guidescope and camera too, which will ask for more counterweight than the stock one. Another option is to assess the maximum exposure time unguided and stack A LOT of subs, I guess this is the route some users may decide to go: if you manage to get a decent % of keepers at 1 minute unguided it could be fine. So, depending on the fact that you already own the SA and are satisfied with its performance you can make your choice. Anyway, from reviews I have read, this is common for this price tag, and I'm pretty sure it won't be different with the iOptron. The Astrotrac might be a totally different story, but the price is different too!

Finally, consider that dec balancing could be critical due to backfocus: the camera gets quite far from the mounting point on the SA.

Sorry to be that critic, but as I wrote my experience wasn't that positive with this tracker. This being said, I have successfully used a 72ED @f6 (Not the SkyWatcher one, but shouldn't matter) guided with the SA. with sub length up to 150". 

Fabio

Thanks for the reply, Fabio. I actually just bought the SA and am not quite attached to it yet. I was attracted by the portability and price tag. Do you have an alternative you'd recommend?

Archived