Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

FLO

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA

I would say there are none, because by upgrading the focuser, you enter the realm of this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susaron said:

Regarding the ED72, I was fortunate enough to find one in a Spanish shop. While waiting for the reducer to be available, I have seriously tested in good sky conditions for visual duties.

Here my impressions:

Pros:

Highly transportable, the hard case is a beauty of stiffness itself, with holes for the diagonal, a filter and a eyepiece ( a Baader zoom makes the perfect choice). It can be handled with one one hand.

Color correction, though in the edges fails a little bit, the center is sharp and very well corrected. We did observations with Albireo and the double-double in Lyra, this one at around x150 was splitted, so it is a good scope for double chase. Also Rasalgheti (Alpha Herculae) was splitted.

Cons:

The poor focuser travel, al low magnification is impossible to focus, only with eyepieces from 16mm to 5mm I was able to focus correctly, the inward focus travel is non-existent, so bad point if you try to watch rich open clusters.

In brief, a wonderful grab and go scope, which is a serious contender in size and price to any similar 70 or 80mm binocular.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I am going to go for the Altair Astro 80mm F6ed..... Not decided for sure but that is the latest contender.  More money.....oh well you only live once!!

• Like 1

I just noticed that FLO reduced the shipment estimation for the reducer from 40-60 days to 20-25 days.