Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

FLO

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA

1 hour ago, Susaron said:

Regarding the ED72, I was fortunate enough to find one in a Spanish shop. While waiting for the reducer to be available, I have seriously tested in good sky conditions for visual duties.

Here my impressions:

Pros:

Highly transportable, the hard case is a beauty of stiffness itself, with holes for the diagonal, a filter and a eyepiece ( a Baader zoom makes the perfect choice). It can be handled with one one hand.

Color correction, though in the edges fails a little bit, the center is sharp and very well corrected. We did observations with Albireo and the double-double in Lyra, this one at around x150 was splitted, so it is a good scope for double chase. Also Rasalgheti (Alpha Herculae) was splitted.

Cons:

The poor focuser travel, al low magnification is impossible to focus, only with eyepieces from 16mm to 5mm I was able to focus correctly, the inward focus travel is non-existent, so bad point if you try to watch rich open clusters.

In brief, a wonderful grab and go scope, which is a serious contender in size and price to any similar 70 or 80mm binocular.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I am going to go for the Altair Astro 80mm F6ed..... Not decided for sure but that is the latest contender.  More money.....oh well you only live once!!

• Like 1

I just noticed that FLO reduced the shipment estimation for the reducer from 40-60 days to 20-25 days.

The OTA was actually in stock with another retailer, out of stock already in a day.

These are gonna be like hot cakes! 🙈

20 minutes ago, Dragon_Astro said:

The OTA was actually in stock with another retailer, out of stock already in a day.

These are gonna be like hot cakes! 🙈

Ditto.

That is why we haven't mentioned it. We had enough to clear all backorders (we had to fight for those!) but that was all.  And we don't have an ETA for the next delivery either... 😳 

Steve 

On 12/07/2018 at 12:08, moise212 said:

I just noticed that FLO reduced the shipment estimation for the reducer from 40-60 days to 20-25 days.

20 work days later and the estimation is still 20-25 days. Other shops in Europe are expecting the shipment to arrive mid September. Seems like we need to wait some more.

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

20 work days later and the estimation is still 20-25 days. Other shops in Europe are expecting the shipment to arrive mid September. Seems like we need to wait some more.

Unfortunately we still don't know. The UK distributor says they haven't left Synta's factory yet so we can only display our best guess ETA. (The UK distributor also distributes to most of Europe, including Germany). 

Apologies for the delay, we will post an update as soon as we are able. 

HTH, 

Steve 

2 hours ago, moise212 said:

I saw that, but wondered if they are just guessing and trying to get business with a "date"... 

21 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

I saw that, but wondered if they are just guessing and trying to get business with a "date"... 

That appears to be a common strategy in retail... 🤔 

Posted (edited)

Not with Teleskop Service, when they say "in stock" they have it in stock for real. I ordered from them twenty times, they can be trusted. The exchange rate is not good for brits, though.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10419_Skywatcher-Teleskop-Evostar-72mm-f-6-ED-Apo-Refraktor.html

Edited by Ben the Ignorant
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Not with Teleskop Service, when they say "in stock" they have it in stock for real. I ordered from them twenty times, they can be trusted. The exchange rate is not good for brits, though.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10419_Skywatcher-Teleskop-Evostar-72mm-f-6-ED-Apo-Refraktor.html

They're one of the sources who expect the flattener to be available mid September. That's also in line with the rumors I heard from my local SW provider a while ago.

I didn't know what Steve said:

2 hours ago, FLO said:

(The UK distributor also distributes to most of Europe, including Germany).

Anyway, it seems that we'll wait. Quite an unpredictable strategy SW adopted lately 🤔

4 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Not with Teleskop Service, when they say "in stock" they have it in stock for real. 

Ben the Ignorant, please forgive me if I am unaware what German retailers are saying or doing. We are a UK company and this is a UK forum.

I see their website estimates delivery of the reducer/flattener, from the manufacturer, at around 15.09.2018. That is mid-Sep. Which is what moise212 said. And what we ourselves are estimating (25x working days is mid-Sep). So we agree. Jolly good 😀

Steve 

• Like 1

I see also their price for the reducer/flattener is £206. UK retailers are charging £169... 

1 minute ago, FLO said:

I see also their price for the reducer/flattener is £206. UK retailers are charging £169. 

I really need to get some stuff from you until there are no additional taxes :D

1 minute ago, moise212 said:

.... until there are no additional taxes :D

Hey! The Queen has Corgis to feed, you know. Horses too! 😁

1 minute ago, FLO said:

Hey! The Queen has Corgis to feed, you know. Horses too! 😁

Besides the stuff that I want from you, I should visit UK again while I still can with my ID only

1 minute ago, moise212 said:

Besides the stuff that I want from you, I should visit UK again while I still can with my ID only

We will look forward to meeting you 🙂 

1 minute ago, FLO said:

We will look forward to meeting you 🙂 

Last time when I visited, it was mostly clear for the whole 4 or 5 days and nights. If you believe this is a sign, just get me some tickets and I'm on my way.

After increasing further more the spacing between the flattener and the sensor, the stars are looking better. I increased the length by 5mm or more. I don't have a full sub available now, but I'm not lying 😛

Anyway, I've now a result with this scope. This image was not just for testing, this scope was the only scope I took with me. Full story here:

I will upload the animation and a full sized sub later.

On 09/08/2018 at 18:08, FLO said:

That is mid-Sep. Which is what moise212 said. And what we ourselves are estimating (25x working days is mid-Sep).

Things have changed on your site... :D

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

Things have changed on your site... :D

Christmas has come early 😁

Steve 

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Christmas has come early 😁

Steve 

Aha! I'm on holiday and it seems I missed it. Goodies will wait for me to return.