SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA

FLO

Does this mean it might be sensible to pre-order the OTA now, rather than later - was looking to get something over the summer ready for the new dark season, but am wondering whether I need to be a bit more prepared! :-) Would pre-ordering now mean you were able to fulfill the order or do you have a long waiting list?

3 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

Does this mean it might be sensible to pre-order the OTA now, rather than later - was looking to get something over the summer ready for the new dark season, but am wondering whether I need to be a bit more prepared! :-) Would pre-ordering now mean you were able to fulfill the order or do you have a long waiting list?

As a retailer people expect me to say "order now" so I try to say that only when it really is necessary. 

Currently, we are confident we can source enough to fulfil existing orders but I don't think we will be able to say that for much longer so my advice is 'yes'. If you want a 72ED DS-Pro from the next delivery place your order now. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 15:35, FLO said:

Ah, sorry, I thought we were talking about the telescope :blush:

Regarding the 2" compression-ring adapter, it is a FLO product. I just spoke with John (he makes the majority of FLO's adapters). He says he has the necessary material so they are probably about a month away, so mid-May. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Hello, Steve!

Do you have news about the adapter? Also, do you have news about when you will receive the dedicated flattener?

Thanks!

Alex

24 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Do you have news about the adapter? Also, do you have news about when you will receive the dedicated flattener?

The adapter is at the anodisers so not long now, probably around the end of next week ?

We haven’t been given an eta for the 0.85x reducer/flattener. We have requested an update and will post again as soon as we know. 

HTH, 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, any news about the dedicated flattener? :D

I added more spacers to the OVL flattener, but I still cannot get properly to the correct backfocus distance and I almost reached the end of the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing about this scope is that is really light. Together with a SkyWatcher Avant is just grab and go.

I had a few gaps between the clouds last night only so no DSO imaging. I put a 2x barlow and a camera on the 72ED for the planets instead. Untracked.

Saturn-F420x2-2018-06-16-015830-Drizzle30_p01.png

Mars-F420x2-2018-06-16-020544-Drizzle30_p01.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Slightly relieved that I went for the TSO Photoline OTA at this point.  Must be frustrating for both the would-be purchasers and vendors.  I wonder if it's a manufacturing issue?

James

I believe many vendors in Europe were expecting for a while the delivery to arrive in August/September.

I recall seeing something somewhere about PrimaLuce not having the reducer in stock, but they list it as available: https://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/reducers-flatteners/skywatcher-0-85x-reducer-flattener-for-72-ed.html

I also wonder if it's a reducer/scope design issue

43 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Must be frustrating for both the would-be purchasers and vendors. 

Very! 

We don't know why it has been delayed. Our best guess is they have released it to the US market and demand has outstripped supply. It is highly unlikely to be a design issue (zero returns so far). 

HTH, 

Steve 

On 25/06/2018 at 13:18, JamesF said:

Slightly relieved that I went for the TSO Photoline OTA at this point.  Must be frustrating for both the would-be purchasers and vendors.  I wonder if it's a manufacturing issue?

James

Have you tried the Photoline yet? I was looking to get a travel scope for a trip to Lanzarote later in the summer as I doubt the skywatcher will be in before Aug when I go. I'm considering the TSO but not sure if I want to go for an 80mm f6 instead of a 70mm. It needs to be portable but I wanted to get reasonable planetary views also, especially Mars and I will use for double stars as well. I prefer a frac to a mak, i have both at the moment (120mm) and prefer the frac for contrast and quality of focuser etc.  

Steve

Haven't yet had the chance to use it anywhere as much as I wanted before we go away this summer, but thus far I'm happy with it.  At the time I bought it the weather was pretty rubbish and now the weather is good I have so much on my plate that most of my observing has been bins and mark 1 eyeball.

James

• Like 1

Regarding the ED72, I was fortunate enough to find one in a Spanish shop. While waiting for the reducer to be available, I have seriously tested in good sky conditions for visual duties.

Here my impressions:

Pros:

Highly transportable, the hard case is a beauty of stiffness itself, with holes for the diagonal, a filter and a eyepiece ( a Baader zoom makes the perfect choice). It can be handled with one one hand.

Color correction, though in the edges fails a little bit, the center is sharp and very well corrected. We did observations with Albireo and the double-double in Lyra, this one at around x150 was splitted, so it is a good scope for double chase. Also Rasalgheti (Alpha Herculae) was splitted.

Cons:

The poor focuser travel, al low magnification is impossible to focus, only with eyepieces from 16mm to 5mm I was able to focus correctly, the inward focus travel is non-existent, so bad point if you try to watch rich open clusters.

In brief, a wonderful grab and go scope, which is a serious contender in size and price to any similar 70 or 80mm binocular.

Edited by Susaron