Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA

FLO

I recently bought on of these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/ovl-field-flattener.html

To use with a Skywatcher ED66 which is 400mm focal length, as I found some reports and photos that show it works very well with that lens. The ED66 is f6, the 72ED is f 5.5 so I would guess that this flattener might work well with it. Note it is ISN'T a reducer.

It would be interesting to see how the 72 ED compares to the old ED66 pro. The new scope comes with a 2" focuser instead of an SCT-size one.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

I am really curious on how it would perform on the planets..

Small refractors like the 72ED can be used for observing planets but there are better suited telescopes available for around the same price.  I.e. check out the Skymax 127 Maksutov OTA. 

skywatcher_skymax_127_ota_new.jpg

11 hours ago, geordie85 said:

How will this scope handle a full frame sensor?

I doubt it'll have an imaging circle to cover it, but here's hoping.

No. I am not aware of any telescope around this price that will cover a full-size sensor. Very few telescopes can and those that do are considerably more expensive. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Be interested to see how people get on with this. Not been doing much imaging recently and mostly put this down to the hassles of dragging everything out and setting up - so have been thinking of "downsizing " from my ED80/ST80 combo on an NEQ6 - this looks like it could sit quite nicely on an HEQ5 with the EVOGUIDE to make a more manageable set-up. Just need to do some research as to how it would pair with my 414EX.

Our entire first delivery has sold out!  We have another smaller delivery arriving tomorrow/Friday but they will probably sell out in the next day or two.  It will be difficult for us to forecast availability thereafter. 

If you have already ordered an Evostar 72ED you will receive one tomorrow or Friday and if you have chosen to collect one from our warehouse there will be one here reserved for you.  Promise :smile:

We have been assured there will be a lot more available when the next shipment arrives. 

HTH, 

Steve 

It is often like this when a new product is launched, a smaller first shipment to test the waters followed by a much larger one a month or two later. Things will then settle down :smile: 

Our best guess is stock will be available until the end of week... 

On 13/02/2018 at 13:31, FLO said:

Have just price-checked our competitors, the lowest so far is £269 so we have set our price to match :angel:

Obviously not wanting to start a pricing war:evil4:but RVO are at £268. Would I get a massive discount for this Market Research:angel:

Tim

25 minutes ago, Cozzy said:

Obviously not wanting to start a pricing war:evil4:but RVO are at £268. Would I get a massive discount for this Market Research:angel:

A whole £ cheaper! Dang! :biggrin:

I will do a wider price comparison... 

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

You don't need to, you're £2 cheaper on shipping :thumbright:

Thank-you for the sentiment but I have found two astro dealers offering it at £265 so I have reduced our price to match :angel:

A £4 saving, enough for a coffee and biscuit at Costa. 

Steve

40 minutes ago, FLO said:

Thank-you for the sentiment but I have found two astro dealers offering it at £265 so I have reduced our price to match :angel:

A £4 saving, enough for a coffee and biscuit at Costa. 

Steve

Coffee for me, three ginger nuts for the dog AND 80p change!

Almost a shame I've pinned my colours to the mast of making a scope with an ED66 lens cell.

Lovely scope! A couple of questions:

1. What’s the OTA OD? Thinking of a nicer set of rings.

2. What’s the thread for the visual back? I hate marring screws and would like to explore options.

Got a trip coming up in the summer and this fits the bill - inexpensive enough not to worry, certainly decent quality for the price, fits easily in carry-on bag, dew shield can be removed if necessary. What’s not t like about it?

20 minutes ago, RayD said:

75.6mm

A.K.A. 3" :icon_biggrin:

Thread looks the same as the 130P-DS.

Dang, typing this I've just realised that having spent ages making a matching compression ring for my new scope (runs to workshop to riffle through scope bits drawer) - yes - I had a spare one already!

At least my version is slightly lower profile :icon_brilsmurf:

<Edit> I make it 54.3mm which is right (there should be a truncated top of the thread but I think SW just cut it a bit deep instead.) for M55, rather than M54 - important if you are looking for an adaptor online. An M54 thread may fit but will feel loose and be vulnerable to damage/cross threading. It's 1mm pitch on the ones I have so surely the same for this scope as teh ring must be a standard Skywatcher part.

The only other option in 3” is the Televue clam ring but too expensive as an add on to this scope :(

I do have a Baader 2” clicklock, but it’s threaded at the bottom to M68 and I am having a hard time finding an adapter. Need to look into this a bit more, although I suspect I would use this scope in 1.25” mode with a Pan 24, rather than deal with a 2” diagonal and heavier eyepieces.

I still have another 5 months to my trip so I can easily take the time to look into this, but as it is, even in its stock rings and visual back, it is now on the radar for a purchase...

EDIT: visual back is probably M56. FLO to the rescue: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html

Although I would like confirmation that this fits ;)

6 hours ago, nicoscy said:

visual back is probably M56. FLO to the rescue: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html

Although I would like confirmation that this fits ;)

It doesn't, the thread isn't M56.

We think Nicosky is right it is M54 Female, if so then this Baader Click-Lock adapter should fit nicely.

But we need to confirm it is M54 so please don't order an adapter until we have :smile: 

Archived