Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
simondodd

Lightroom capturing

Is anyone here using their DSLR tethered to LIghtroom to capture images for stacking? Is this advisable or should I stick with using a remote/intervalometer with my Nikon and then just download the files at the end of the session using lightroom to grab focus at the start?

I would imagine most people shooting tethered are using backyard eos/Nikon or dedicated AP software... but whatever works for you! So long as you can still access the RAW files for stacking... as they say "If it ain't broke..."

Nice one, pretty cheap for such a powerful piece of software! I've not used lightroom for it as of yet so may give it a try before going to backyard Nikon...

You can use LR but you don't get any real control over the camera other than actuate the shutter. Or at least I can't. This, as far as I know applies to all makes.

If you've got nothing else then it's handy to have an immediate download to a laptop.

Which Nikon do you have ? A 3*** series doesn't have an intervalometer built in but all the others do as far as I know.

Just make doubly sure any software you use will connect if you have a 3*** series camera ! 

Dave.

I've got the D5000, just watching the 2 hour video on backyard Nikon, looks very very good to me! Gonna have to take the plunge I think! Software plus all the cables needed... Lucky I've been saving for a year for this stuff :) haha

Don’t discount APT if you are considering BackyardEOS. Seems a bit more user friendly to me. Excellent software IMVHO and also cheaper than BYEOS.

Edit: For EOS please read Nikon :hmh:

Edited by Grierson

Damn it! Now I have a decision to make! Why can't I just send money somewhere and then everything turns up on my doorstep ready to go ;) hahaha

5 hours ago, simondodd said:

Damn it! Now I have a decision to make! Why can't I just send money somewhere and then everything turns up on my doorstep ready to go ;) hahaha

That's too easy for this hobby 

Anyone know what sort of processing power I'm gonna need from a laptop for either APT or backyard Nikon? Will a cheap netbook suffice or will I need something a bit more powerful than that? Thinking something small with good battery life will be better for taking to dark sites rather than some beast of a machine but not sure how much processing power this software needs...? I'm gonna be running everything off a deep cycle leisure battery once I get it all so want to make sure I have the right size battery for a good few hours of photography...