Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield_winners.thumb.jpg.89a389e06ea148084fc6cb2e2cf32749.jpg

alan4908    1,171

My first attempt at NGC281 was with my ED 80 and taken with my colour camera - and I definitely thought the result looked liked the Pacman.

So, whilst attempting to image this object with my Esprit 150, I thought I'd end up with another Pacman, albeit somewhat more detailed. However, the more I looked at my narrowband result, the less I decided it looked like the video game character. I think this is because my eye was drawn to the various nebula details, which tend to be absent in a broadband approach but reveal themselves with a narrow-band technique. So, for this bi-colour image, I decided to try to enhance the details by experimenting with colour contrast curves and the Pixinsight script DarkStructureEnhance.  The image represents 9 hours total integration time. 

(If you are still interested in seeing the Pacman, then you need to rotate the image by 180 degrees).

5a82d38c45518_30.Final.thumb.jpg.955f823ee847a7349536d2bcbae16fbb.jpg

Alan

LIGHTS: Ha:8, OIII:10 x 1800s, DARKS:30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C.

• Like 10

iansmith    124

Nice, I like the faint nebulosity around the edge of the nebula proper. There's a nice 35 effect in the centre as well.

Cheers, Ian

alan4908    1,171
7 hours ago, iansmith said:

Nice, I like the faint nebulosity around the edge of the nebula proper. There's a nice 35 effect in the centre as well.

Cheers, Ian

Thanks for the comment Ian.

Ideally, I'd like to have captured a little more faint nebulosity but this target has now disappeared below my local horizon, I guess that is a downside of attempting to image 7 targets simultaneously.

I see what you mean about the 3D effect, I hadn't noticed it until now.

Alan 

• Like 1

alan4908    1,171
10 hours ago, astro mick said:

Very nice indeed.

Well done.

Mick.

Thanks for the comment Mick. :happy11:

Alan

Edited by alan4908

Filroden    1,218

That’s spectacular. I love the colour graduation and how it emphasises the fainter detail within the centre.

alan4908    1,171
2 hours ago, Filroden said:

That’s spectacular. I love the colour graduation and how it emphasises the fainter detail within the centre.

Thanks Ken - yes, I was using contrast curves in the central region separately for the RGB channels in order to maximize the details and also (hopefully) end up with a colour that I liked.

Alan