Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing sites in Dorset

kev100

Hi all, not sure where else to post this, but I've managed to secure access to a handful of pretty good observing sites over the years I've been at this, and wondered if anyone in the Dorset area is interested in sharing them or perhaps arranging meet-ups/stargazing sessions. I don't want to post the locales publicly, as a couple are on farms to which I've been granted access. I kinda wish there was a Dorset community sub-forum, but I don't think the mods are too keen on expanding that section of the site.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested.

Kev

Hi there,

So, here’s what I’m thinking (apologies for the ramble). A few things came together to prompt my original post. 

• The first was that I was out at one of my sites on Friday last, the sky was super dark and glittery, and I thought I really should let others know about this place (the land owner’s happy for me to bring people up there (it’s just off the main Dorchester to Sherborne road, between Cerne Abbas and Piddletrenthide where I live). I do like to ask whenever I plan to go up there, but he’s always happy for me go go ahead.

• The second thing (and bear with me): Last year I did some public stargazing sessions as part of a local initiative called ‘Try This’, based in Dorchester. The sessions were very popular, and, as a result, I was asked to come along to a meeting in preparation for this years event. I met someone there who said I’d be welcome to use her farm for stargazing sessions (apparently it’s super dark, though quite near to Dorchester. I haven’t been able to check it out yet, but again, she said she’d be happy for me to bring people up there.

• The third thing was that, again via Try This, I was contacted yesterday with this:

Thanks for the information regarding your two stargazing sessions. I will check the diary for our availability. In the meantime I am sending this e-mail to yourself and Sally Mead who is the co-owner of Longthorns Farm. We met her a few weeks ago at a tourism networking event and she would be interested to offer you the use of some space that is light pollution free for stargazing. They have a barn and bar area too, plus toilets which may be useful to you and your stargazers.

Let me know how you get on. I am sure if you e-mail Sally she will be pleased to hear from you.”

I’ve had a look and Longthorns looks like a fab place (and even has a bar and toilets!).

• Fourth, as a result of my post yesterday, a fellow Dorset SGL-er suggested this place (which looks amazing):

"Don't know if you have this one, but I used to go over onto the Purbecks. There is a great car park overlooking Steeple (just before you enter the Lulworth firing range). Head out of Wareham towards Swanage and take a road on the right that has a massive junction. It's called Grange Road/Grange Hill. Then just keep going until you go up the very steep hill and the car park is on the left as you get to the top. The car park is indicated on the attached map as the "bus stop" like loop just before the switch-back. You have a clear view south which drops away quite steeply, so all the village light (such as it is) is well below your line-of-sight and there is very little traffic on the road behind you (especially when the ranges are closed).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Dorset/@50.6344791,-2.1417033,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x486d80aaedabf177:0x33a1f481bada6d5f!8m2!3d50.7487635!4d-2.3444786

• Finally, I’m still doing public sessions (I’ve got two this weekend - weather permitting). One at the New Inn in Cerne Abbas on Friday, and on at the Piddlehinton Millennium Green on Saturday. Both are free sessions, and people are welcome to bring scopes, binoculars, etc. Saturday is looking like the better night so far. When doing these I post details on a little Facebook group I set up following the Try This sessions last year. It’s called ‘Dorchester Area Stargazers’, and is open to anyone to join.

So, as I see it, all we need to do now is to decide how we can arrange meet ups, and set dates. Could be here on SGL, or on the Facebook group, or some other way. I’m quite keen to try out Longthorns and the site in the Purbecks :) .

If anyone can make it this weekend, esp Saturday, that would be awesome (hoping for a good turnout!)

Kev

Hi again,

I guess, if those who are interested just follow this thread, then we can use it to suggest times and places for meet ups and take it form there.

I'll follow up on the Longthorns site later today, and will report back.

Kev

Hello, I'm interested in everything you mentioned. Longhorns sounds good! I definitely have binoculars I can bring Saturday. I might just have enough lumber lying around at home to make a shelf platform in my sidecar, so that I can bring my 60 mm scope. 

Hi all, thought I'd post an update on my contact with Longhorns (first my email):

Hi Sally, I'm sure I and a number of other local stargazers would be keen to take you up on your kind offer. How do you see it working? Would it be for organised public sessions, would sessions be organised for the to perhaps help being campers to the site? Would access be available to one or two stargazers to turn up (once checked that it's okay with you) for a quiet few hours by themselves? All of the above? Could I, for example, pass on your details to others in the area?

In the meantime, I've put a post on a stargazing forum, mentioning that there are a number of possible sites available for astronomers in Dorset, and there seems to be a good level of interest. We really are very lucky in this part of the world, in that once out of the towns, we do have very good dark skies.

And Longhorn's reply:

Thank you for your email,  we are open to suggestions to work along side you, perhaps more organised events which could be open to  campers if you felt that this was appropriate.

I am away from Friday until next Thursday , but more than happy to meet at Longthorns and show you what we have to offer. 

I wonder if Longhorns might be something better suited to formal stargazing sessions, perhaps organised by the WAS, than to single or small groups of stargazers ...? Any thoughts o that front?

Kev

I'd meet Sally, look round Longhorns, and talk it over with her. Before making any decisions. Whilst it is good to do public sessions, maybe limiting it to WAS is not the best way forward? As they may not be interested from the perspective they organise Durlston public astronomy evenings, and may not want to do two?

Dave

Likewise Paul, I've had many lovely nights on the Purbeck peninsula, watching the Milky Way soaring overhead with the Cygnus rift so clear.

Durlston Head is a pretty good place to try, certainly if you want a sea horizon. The other place is St Aldhelm's chapel south of Worth Matravers. It's a bit of a bumpy track down there, I didn't make it all the way in my old BMW 330 sport but even then I had some fabulous views of Sagittarius right down to M7.

Wish I could join you, if I'm down camping over the summer I will post up.

Yep. Can’t get much lower than a sea horizon from the top of a cliff! You are also above some of the sea mists.

I generally find a good spot inland of the main road between Abotsbury and Bridport. Kev’s Piddle valley is a long way from town lights.

Paul

6 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Yep. Can’t get much lower than a sea horizon from the top of a cliff! You are also above some of the sea mists.

It's a great view, Milky Way down to the sea on a nice transparent night.

12 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Kev’s Piddle valley is a long way from town lights

It certainly is. I had a cracking session from the back garden the other night. The Beehive cluster was a clear, bright patch, likewise the double cluster. Even managed to view the flame neb (with UHC filter) for the first time :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Kev, I would be up for joining you. Just need to make sure I have use of a car. If I can, I will bring my Vixen 80mm F15 as I really want to give that telescope a good run on the planets. 

Dave. 

22 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

Hi Kev, I would be up for joining you. Just need to make sure I have use of a car. If I can, I will bring my Vixen 80mm F15 as I really want to give that telescope a good run on the planets. 

Dave. 

Awesome. It looks like a fab site, and one recommended by fellow SGL-er @Demonperformer 

Hi Kev, myself and @prusling would love to join you, it looks like a good site and the weather looks promising.

I'll probably bring my ST102 and EQ5 (if I can find the battery). Otherwise it'll be a 6" newt on a SkyTee. 

I suspect that Peter will bring his DSLR and Skytracker widefield setup.

Ade

7 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Hi Kev, myself and @prusling would love to join you, it looks like a good site and the weather looks promising.

I'll probably bring my ST102 and EQ5 (if I can find the battery). Otherwise it'll be a 6" newt on a SkyTee. 

Ade

Fantastic. It does look like a fab site, with amazing southern views :)

Archived