Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_smartphones.thumb.jpg.2c4c8c071da4f18cb4d5b9abc11d6e7b.jpg

Martin Perrett

Cheap simple easy small DIY observatory

Hi all,

After having my mind programmed into thinking that home observatories should be round or square I saw an article showing a triangular one. This altered my thinking completely. I had some plywood and other wood left from building my house so took a couple of days to build my observatory. The size was dictated by the tripod base and the movement of the telescope on the mount. I have a NEQ6 Pro and 8inch ACF. The first thing is to align the tripod along the meridian North South with the help of the sun's shadow and the time. This means that with the scope parked it takes up less room. The roof hinges over with the help of a counterweight (not shown on my first video) and the base of the observatory is a equalateral triangle about 5-5 feet high to allow the scope to see most of the sky. This setup allows for access to the scope but is really for remote viewing. The triangular base is approx. 6 feet on each side but the roof requires room on one side to be hinged over. The observatory can be built from 4 sheets of 18mm exterior grade ply and one sheet of 5mm marine ply for the roof and 3 4.2mtr length of 50mm by 100mm treated wood. The cost could be less than £200 if you can use some reclaimed bits. The video I made is about 20 minutes long and involved me thinking and working things out while building it. The triangular construction is much easier and stronger than a square or circular one. The design means I have the scope setup and ready for those short glimpses of clear sky while also able to try remote control of the scope with the roof closed. Since the first video I have put more hinges on the joint and a beam (made from hardwood I bought as an off cut) with a couple of old rail track plates used as counterweights. The next thing is to use a garage door opener to remote the opening of the roof. 

So here is the link to the video. Please just see it as an example of what you can do, not as a 'this is the way to do it' video. If I was building it again it would be similar but better.

• Like 8

MarsG76    2,088

Thanks for sharing.. great observatory.

Since making this observatory I have made the roof one piece and counterbalanced. I have also put another short video together to show the progress.

Hope this helps

Martin

• Like 2

sloz1664    592

Going great Malcolm. The addition will stop you from getting a bad back. :)

You will certainly enjoy having an observatory. Best piece of astro equipment I have invested in by a country mile.

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Shelster1973
      Finally a clear night and some good images grabbed with my DIY All Sky Camera.
      All stitched together in Light Room and the resulting video stuck up on YouTube and now linked to here
      Hopefully it will be clear again soon and can get some more good timelapses.   Shame I am not further north with a possibility of an aurora, but hey ho.
      Thanks for looking
    • By wookie1965
      I was looking for an eyepiece bag and they are quite expensive so went down this route.
      Camera bag £6 from ebay and jumbo sponges 3 for a quid and made this what do you think. 

• By Pugwash
      Hi all,
      Having just started out with my telescope (and still awaiting some decent clear skies for a decent play!), I wanted to find a sensible dust cover, come protective rain/shower cover, for storage inside while not being used, and as an emergency cover-up when outside. In particular, I wanted a suitable dust cover for indoors.
      I found all the usual expensive options, plus a lot of recommendations, but none for me seemed to fit the bill, though I am sure there are others out there. However, being a boaty kind of person, I have used over the past few years the "Ducksback" outboard engine covers during winter storage. These, as it happens, are the ideal thing, and after checking out the sizes, the Size 5 80 to 150HP outboard engine size cover is just perfect for a Skywatcher Skyhawk 500mm 1145P! And it costs just £11.80!
      Here are the details if it helps anyone else...
      To quote, they are "waterproof, UV resistant, breathable,300 denier 6oz polyester material, drawstring closure with toggle fastening for easy fit". They come in a range of sizes, and without wishing to be seen as advertising them, I don't think they have cottoned on to these covers being great for telescopes yet! The full range (in either silver or blue), covers dimensions for all sizes 1 to 7 (length 90cm x width 60cm x height 80cm). They are floppy and easily accommodate strange telescope shapes. You can check them out or buy at:
      https://ducksback.co.uk/?product=outboard-engine-cowl-cover-silver
      Or buy easily on eBay as I did.
      Hope helps,
      Clive

• By mfalzon
      Hi guys!
      I thought I'd pass on this link to a blog I am constructing. I intend to detail and illustrate all the steps involved in the construction of a 2.2m square dome observatory from its conception to it's complete outfitting. I am an amateur astronomer and most of the stuff I used in the making of the dome, apart from the actual construction materials  was from recycled stuff and bits and pieces I managed to scrounge. A lot of the outfitting electronics and gadgetry came from cheap Asian sources and the circuitry and software was again partly home grown or borrowed from other sources.

Time, patience and a generous helping of youtube videos and forums like this one are a must if one gets stuck but thankfully one will always find the answers if one digs deep enough.

Anyways ..here it is for any of you who want to browse..The blog should grow  steadily as I add more and more information and pics and of course anyone interested is welcome to drop me a line on this forum or by email.

There is a lot of ground to cover and so it might take me a while to finish uploading it all ..but after all...hey ...it took me a year and a half to finish!

Welcome to The Raven and the Owl Observatory ... a home-made little portal to the stars...
      https://ravenandowl7....wordpress.com/

Dark skies
      Maurice
    • By Badweather
      finished corrector heater