Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

Hi just a quick question, anyone know why I’m regularly getting two dots showing in the viewing window of my RDF ? One seems to be almost a ‘ghost’ image of the other.  And I get it on the finders on both my ‘scopes. Very annoying!

Seems very odd? Do you wear glasses at all? Is the second ghost a reflection perhaps in the lenses if you do wear any? 

Yes I do wear glasses but definitely not a reflection in them.

Could it be my head position / distance from the finder ? Must be something I'm doing as happens on both rdf's I have ! Starting to thing I'm going mad !

If you look without your glasses do you get the same double ghosting? Also, is this just a bog standard red dot finder, or a specific model/kind?

Presumably you don't get double stars, just the red dot?

One thing you could try is to remove it from the scope and holding it at the normal use distance, move it around and see if you can find a region where it isn't ghosted. You could do that in comfort inside. Also, try using each eye separately and together. If you still can't sort it, and if this has recently come on, it might be worth speaking to an optician.

Ian

Thanks guys, I'll try some of these out.

Oh they are bog standard rdf's by the way.

Edited by chrisdg1968