Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
JemC

Star Adventurer bolt

Evening :happy11:

Wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction (if there is one) with a little problem i have with my star adventurer :huh:

my intention is to use the tripod from my Eq6 pro, however the problem i have is in acquiring a bolt that is both long enough and the correct size bolt to enable me to do this, i think if i am correct the thread size is 3/8 but i am happy to be corrected if wrong, 

does anyone use this type of tripod for their star adventurer and if so how do you secure it to the tripod

or is there an easier way to secure it to the tripod?

any thoughts/ideas or were i could purchase such a bolt would be appreciated,

Regards

James

You are correct in that the bolt is 3/8 inch. But that's as far as I can go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thomasv said:

I use this (the HEQ5 version), it works, but if you can find the correct 3/8" long screw somewhere, I guess that would be cheaper.

That looks quite neat,

i have been looking but not had any success, so it looks like i may have to purchase the Berlebach 3/8" Photo Adapter for EQ6 Tripod

It's been done before what you are trying to do, have you seen this post, however no source mentioned for the stud.

• Like 1

I had an adaptor made to fit an EQ5 tripod:

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/gallery/image/177-kims-adapterjpg/

Any engineering workshop should be able to run one up for you - unfortunately the chap who did mine no longer makes them or I'd send you to him. You might find someone on the forum with a workshop who can sort it for you.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2018 at 21:36, thomasv said:

It's been done before what you are trying to do, have you seen this post, however no source mentioned for the stud.

Thanks @thomasv for pointing this out,

i ended up contacting GWR-Fasteners and  they could supply what i needed, (great service as well)

this is what i have ended up with, ( not the best image of it but you get the jist:icon_biggrin: )

there is a big noticeable difference as to how much more rigid it is when mounted on the EQ6 tripod rather than the ravelli one i was using, 

as per usual just need the weather to play nice,

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.68df46edcc30df990375b5770ce18524.JPG

I bought a length of 3/8 studding and a couple of nuts and washers. Very cheap and very easy.

For a tripod with a North Pin for an equatorial head you can make a simple wooden spacer. All done with only a drill and a jigsaw for a quick session and never updated.

[Sorry for the out-of-focus shot of the mount - just quick snaps]

David

2018-02-19 08.50.05.jpg

2018-02-19 08.50.22.jpg

2018-02-19 08.51.06.jpg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JemC
      This is my second go at using the Star Adventurer, Target > Orion (again) 
      This time i got everything ready during the day that i was going to need, and used a little of  @SteveNickolls advice,
      waited patiently for the skies to darken enough to be able to see Polaris,
      approx 17:50 took the mount out and proceeded to polar align, used polar finder app which showed Polaris at this time to be in the 6 o'clock position (bottom of reticule), 
      once positioned i then checked to make sure it was Polaris i had lined up on,happy to say it was, i then carried out one full rotation in RA to see if it remained on the circle, which it did,
      i then carefully rotated my set up to get Orion in view/position for imaging, re checked polar alignment and it had moved slightly, most probably because of handling the mount to set up, so made a small adjustment to get it back into position,
      There was some drift over the course of the imaging session (will probably put that in another post to query)
      I eventually had to abandon at 19:30 due to cloud,
      So, equipment used on this occasion was,

Star Aventurer
      Celestron Travel Scope 70
      Canon 600d
      ISO 800
      Baader UHC-S filter with an additional Light pollution filter 
      I also included a set of darks,bias and flat frames this time,
      24 x 60 sec lights
      28 x darks
      36 x flats
      32 x bias
      then run through DSS, Photoshop cc, rotated and cropped slightly,
      this is my image that i ended up with, excuse the core, it's blown,

• By JemC
      After reading the manual through (still don't fully understand it ) i managed to get myself into the back garden with my newly acquired Star Adventurer,
      Probably not the best of nights to be having a go at this, but new toy and wanting to try it out, it has to be done 
      got it all lined up and polar aligned (not to happy with the polar illuminator) i was however open to the elements and it was quite blustery with no means of sheltering my set up from it, 
      then there was that great lump of rock shining ever so bright  and it was surprisingly cold, but persevere i must,
      images taken with 
      unmodified Canon 600d & 55-250mm lens set at approx 135mm
      ISO800
      No light pollution filter
      No darks
      No bias
      No flats
      37 x 60 sec lights
      processed (sort of)with DSS and then fettled a little in Photoshop cc
      thanks for looking

• By JemC
      I went and picked up my latest acquisition today (Tuesday) 
      got it all out if the boxes and set it up, just to see what it looks like (as you do)
      I must say though that it is actually smaller than i imagined it to be, the only thing that i can see probably being a bit of a pain is the polar scope illuminator (may need to come up with something better for that)
      overall though i am impressed by it, 
      just need to do some playing around with it now and figure it out then when the sky permits give it a test run,

• By JemC
      Good day to all 
      I'm currently thinking about getting myself a set up for DSLR/wide-field astrophotography,
      This will purely be DSLR widefield, i am not wanting to use a scope with this set up, nor would i be wanting to guide,
      I already have a canon 600d so will utilise this with A 50mm lens and will more than likely look at getting a couple more,
      The set up will need to be portable and easy to handle,
      My plan is to drive out to some dark or at least darker than my garden locations that are within reasonble driving distance,it's also something that i could 
      take with me when on holiday (UK only, don't think i could convince the boss for over sea)
      I have been looking at some of the easy to handle/portable set ups, and i know they all have their pro's and cons,but these are the 2 contenders
      purely for DSLR that i am thinking of,

Skywatcher star adventurer
          "       EQ3-2
      Of the 2 listed i have had EQ but it had to go to help fund upgrades (but that was when i didn't know what i was doing, not sure i know what i'm doing now though either,) or would i be better looking at some of the other models that are available,
      any recommendations or advice/tips would be appreciated,
      Regards
      James

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.