SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A satellite i presume, but which one?

ShrewView

Hi all.

I was out most of last night under a lovely clear sky and did a spot of basic imaging of a few Messiers. On looking at the images today there were plenty of satellite trails as always, and Stellarium helps me identify them mostly, but I'm having trouble identifying one, so any help or useful sources I can try would be appreciated.

The area I was looking at was around M90 and in taking 20 or so one minute exposures I spotted a couple of trails. The first moving slowly took around 10 minutes to cross the width of the imaged area so appears on ten images and I can't find a match for this. The image below was taken at approx. 2.14am.

The second trail moves fairly swiftly taking about 1.5 minutes to travel the length of the frame, so moving much faster and appears to be Cosmos 2476, taken at 2.23am. 

Any ideas welcome.

I've assumed its a satellite and not an asteroid or another one of those Teslas :icon_biggrin:

object x2 web.jpg

cosmos 2476 web.jpg

52 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

Two sats passed by around those times, LAGEOS 2 and Cosmos 2474.

The COSMOS would have been the slower one.

Cosmos 2474 comes up on Stellarium about an hour and a half after the image but appears to be travelling at 90 degrees to the one I captured so perhaps its the Lageos 2? Can't find that one on this so don't know?

39 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Intersat or Lageos 2 according to starwalk. 

Can't see Intersat either. My laptop is a bit elderly so says it won't download Starwalk.

Thanks both for replies though.

Dan

Archived