Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What else will I need?

simondodd

So I've got a Nikon D5000 (unmodified, not sure if I need to change it), An HEQ5 Pro with some extra bits (good find on eBay) and will be buying a 130PDS from FLO brand new...

Is there anything else I am going to need to get some good galaxy pics and other DSO's or will this lot get me started in the right direction for now? Is a comma corrector absolutely necessary or can it be sorted in post...? Will I need a Barlow to get good galaxy pics or is the 130PDS good enough as it is?

Thanks in advance ;)

Your best additional accessory will be the book Making Every Photon Count. 

You will also need a T adapter to connect the camera to the scope. After that, just get started and you'll soon find out what else you need. Unfortunately the list seems endless :icon_biggrin:

At the same time that you buy the 130P-DS also get a Cheshire Collimation Eyepiece in the package. You probably won't need it immediately but you most certainly will in the future, and don't forget to check the DSLR to 130P-DS adapter for your Nikon. Without which you won't be able to attach the Camera to the Telescope. Especially if you are trying imaging.

Now study collimating Newtonian Telescopes, check out Astro Baby's tutorials etc. and don't be frightened, if you can change a light bulb, you can 'collimate' a Newt'.

Doubt that you need to shell out on a Comma Corrector at this juncture. That's getting rather serious. ;)

When you are happy in your imaging methodology, then you will want to move your kit forward as you improve, or give up.

Rich

Thanks everyone! I've already got 'Making Every Photon Count' Just haven't properly read through it yet... I collomated my Dad's Dob a few years ago so not completely new at it but I'm sure there are some differences :) I'll be getting the Adapter for my camera and the collomating eyepiece but I'll hold off on the comma corrector for now though :)

Looking forward to capturing some good stuff!! Hopefully they will be a bit better than my previous attempts with a static dob! :) I'll be sure to post some pics in here!

You might try downloading Stellarium and entering the size of your sensor and F/L of your telescope into its ocular plugin. That will let you preview which objects might be suitable for your setup. Or you can just calculate the field of view and romp through the catalogs looking for bright things a bit smaller than that!

You will definitely need some means of controlling long exposures. You may find that the 30-second limit that's built into your camera suffices for your needs and you just need a means of triggering it without bumping, but you'll likely want to go longer than that and so will either need to connect it to a computer via USB and one of the intervalometer programs, or else get a standalone intervalometer. Those are pretty cheap.

There's a ton of fun you can have before you start worrying about autoguiding, but that's probably next. Enjoy immensely.

3 hours ago, rickwayne said:

You might try downloading Stellarium and entering the size of your sensor and F/L of your telescope into its ocular plugin. That will let you preview which objects might be suitable for your setup. Or you can just calculate the field of view and romp through the catalogs looking for bright things a bit smaller than that!

You will definitely need some means of controlling long exposures. You may find that the 30-second limit that's built into your camera suffices for your needs and you just need a means of triggering it without bumping, but you'll likely want to go longer than that and so will either need to connect it to a computer via USB and one of the intervalometer programs, or else get a standalone intervalometer. Those are pretty cheap.

There's a ton of fun you can have before you start worrying about autoguiding, but that's probably next. Enjoy immensely.

Already got it but not done that part before! Just put my numbers in and had a quick look around! Seems there are some nice shots I can take! Thanks for the tip!

I have an IR remote for my camera so can set it to bulb for that but I will probably end up getting an intervelometer for it as well or the cable to connect it to my laptop.

Thanks!

Well I have taken delivery of my 130P-DS and will be collecting my HEQ5 Pro on Sunday... Turns out I needed an adapter ring from the T-ring to be able to mount it to the scope though. Fingers crossed that arrives today or tomorrow :) Looking forward to having some clear skies to get some good DSO's very soon! 

Have a look online for cloud repellent - its priceless. Given you have new equipment I think the rule of thumb is 'at least two weeks' for your first clear sky....

If you do find cloud repellent, please do let us all know :wink:

Soooo happy with my setup now! Got the scope, got the mount and almost all the adapters I need for my camera. Just need the final few bits to be able to take it to a field in the middle of nowhere to run everything from my laptop/s :) Thanks for all the advice everyone! Much appreciated!

Archived