Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice way to start the day...

As amateur astronomers I suspect many of us have gotten used to quietly cursing the approach of daylight but there is something to be said for just turning off the imaging kit and relaxing and enjoying the view, in this case, sat on a beach with a flask of hot tea watching the approaching sunrise. It was cold to be sure but the view made up for that..

First image is the Milky Way rising - taken at the beach near Budleigh Salterton at the mouth of the River Otter about 5am. The second image is nearer 6am, the milky way can still be seen but is fading fast, the moon, a very thin crescent is the bright light just above the sea. 

Not a bad way to start the day :) 

Well, except for driving to the beach and finding I'd left the camera bag on the pavement outside my house back home... and then finding out the laptop was only 25% charged, and it was very cold so it pretty quickly just shut down...

(click on the pictures to get a slightly sharper version!)

First image: 5 shot stack 25 second exposures at ISO 6400 with a Canon 6D through a Samyang 14mm lens at f/4.

Second image:  1x  25 second exposure at ISO 2500 f/4, same camera and lens.

BudleighMW3.thumb.jpg.41d5240777680043f12305b8a3b83ede.jpg

Budleighdawn2.thumb.jpg.4dc25d141a32b289e8c9a060232343e7.jpg

Now who on earth would leave their camera bag behind ? :)

As you know, I admire your smooth skies.

One thing intrigues me with these photos, was there a light source somewhere behind you ? I first thought it might have been car headlights but I can't see your shadow. Then I checked Astronomical twilight and it hadn't started on your first one !

That scene with the rising moon was almost made for a timelapse. Next time ?

Dave.

2 hours ago, davew said:

Now who on earth would leave their camera bag behind ? :)

Ha Ha!!  :hello2: Yes, I'd forgotten that... I guess I should apologize for all the ribbing I gave you at the time ;) 

2 hours ago, davew said:

One thing intrigues me with these photos, was there a light source somewhere behind you ? I first thought it might have been car headlights but I can't see your shadow. Then I checked Astronomical twilight and it hadn't started on your first one !

The lights of Budleigh Salterton are half a mile behind. They are actually off until about 5am-ish so when I finally got back after collecting my bag it was dark as pitch but the streetlights started coming on as I started snapping... had I remembered the bag there would have been a timelapse... the exact spot where I was set up is in the shadow of a sign on the beach so you can't see my shadow - but that's a good thing to watch out for next time I go there!!

So, next time I'll be down there from about 3am - with the kit and there'll definitely be some timelapsing going on. Actually, may even take the slider if I can remember! I'll try go left a few feet too for more reflections... 

Btw, I followed the advice on ISO of some one who gave a little talk about timelapsing at Kielder recently. The poor guy probably thought I was asleep during his talk but I did listen to that bit and went for a much higher ISO than normal... seems to have worked ;) :) 

James

Now I understand. I quite like the effect of the light on the beach to be honest. It makes it awkward for a timelapse unless you do get there around 3.00. Imagine being half way through and then the beach suddenly lighting up !

I had a word with that guy and he said it wouldn't matter if you did fall asleep. Tom would explain it all to you ! You'd have to watch the very bright bits like the moon but other wise it does work. Usually !

Dave.

Archived