Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Helios Naturesport Plus 10x50 ... is there something wrong with mine

kev100

Hi,

I got a pair of these a couple of years ago, and straightaway noticed that stars in the outer third or so of the fov were stretched, and there was a definite ballooning/pin-cushioning of the view as I panned across the sky. The centre of the fov is great, and so I figured that, for the price, they were as good as they were going to be. However ... I had bought them as a result of reading a Sky ay Night review that placed them as the best sub-£120 10x50 binos in the test. I've also read lots of very positive reviews of them here on SGL, at least one describing the optics as very good.

Do I have a bad pair?

Kev.

38 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Funny enough, I was prompted to write my post as a result of reading one of your previous reports :) ... 

What a coincidence! I can't comment on collimation etc. I will let some pros on here do that if that's the case. 

I hope you solve the problem!

Hi Victor,

Yes! I think it was seeing them mentioned in your signature, and reading one of your posts that prompted me to write. Until I read your report, I figured that that's how 80 quid binoculars were going to be. 

I don't think it's a collimation issue, in that I can get both eye views to a single image. It's just the distortion that affects the outer third of the fov. 

I actually wrote a review on FLO's website shortly after receiving them, but, being them a present, and not being very expensive, I didn't think of sending them back (and it didn't bother me too much at the start anyway). Now, though, they're hardly getting any use at all because of the 'issue'.

Cheers,

Kev.

22 minutes ago, kev100 said:

I actually wrote a review on FLO's website shortly after receiving them, but, being them a present, and not being very expensive, I didn't think of sending them back (and it didn't bother me too much at the start anyway). Now, though, they're hardly getting any use at all because of the 'issue'.

I bet if you contact FLO they would be pleased to help :wink2:

Steve

@BinocularSky Thanks Steve. I've been looking for the Sky at Night group test I read, but I can't find it now (though I have found mention of it: http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/forum/helios-binoculars-t78861.html). The Naturesport were definitely recommended (and form memory were quoted as the 'best sub £120 bins' available. It's just that, seeing others saying how great they were, started me thinking that, perhaps, mine were a duff pair.

Kev

Hi Kev,

I have the Opticron Adventurer 10x50 (Mk II version) which I got from FLO at £85 or so a couple of months ago.

I was convinced by Steve Tonkins (Binocular Sky) rave review, as Steve knows his binoculars.

In fairness, these bins are also not sharp out to the edge, probably more like 60%, but the contrast, sharpness on axis and colour rendition is excellent. They are also ergonomically very small and light for 10x50s and I love them for the price paid. I use them also on my Ravelli Trigger grip and tripod and they are a joy to use. They are also waterproof!

I did a bit of a review here a couple of weeks back, comparing to another good pair of Pentax 8x40s I bought in a sale on Amazon..

It is though important to remember that you won't get a really edge to edge sharp binocular view without spending a lot more than these cost :lol:

Hope that helps.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. My sons both have the Opticron 10x50s (I think these retail for about 50 quid, though), and I'd say they're better optically than the Helios. I'd really just like a second opinion on mine, though, as others seem to rate them highly. FLO has kindly agree to have them back and check them for me, so we'll soon find out how representative they are.

Kev

23 hours ago, kev100 said:

@BinocularSky Thanks Steve. I've been looking for the Sky at Night group test I read, but I can't find it now (though I have found mention of it: http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/forum/helios-binoculars-t78861.html). The Naturesport were definitely recommended (and form memory were quoted as the 'best sub £120 bins' available.

Yes, I saw that as well. There's a heck of a lot of variation within any range of budget binoculars and it's quite possible that the review one was a lot better than the ones you and I had.

6 hours ago, F15Rules said:

In fairness, these bins are also not sharp out to the edge, probably more like 60%,

And this indicates one of the problems with different people comparing binoculars. How do we define what "sharp" means?  I try to do it with double stars as a sort of objective measure (but that's still atmosphere-dependent), and I thought this bino was sharp to 50% (but I could split delta Cep to about 75%).  So, is it sharp to  50%, 60% or 75%?  :D I think what it comes down to is that binoculars are personal things and if we like what we see & feel, it's a good 'un and if we don't, it isn't, and it's perfectly OK & normal to disagree and like (or dislike) different things.

I'm rambling....

kev100's binoculars have arrived. Good news and bad news. 

Good news, they are AOK. No faults whatsoever and performance in keeping with the model, type and price. 

Bad news, to meet kev100's expectations he will need a more expensive binocular. 

We have cleaned the optics and will return them today. 

@kev100, FWIW I thought the product review you left at our website two years ago was fair and reasonable. 

While checking your binocular I took the opportunity to compare the Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50 with the newer Opticron Adventurer 10x50 T WP. Optical performance was very similar (the Opticron is slightly better overall) but the fit and finish of the Opticron is noticeably better.  

HTH, 

Steve 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for confirming that there's actually nothing wrong with them, that is good to know, and thanks for your feedback on my review. I'd better start saving :)

Will you be send them to the address they were collected from?

Kev

Archived