Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hawke Endurance ED 8x42 Binocular or Opticron Imagic TGA WP 8x42 Binocular

Moonshane

I am considering the above options as my new binoculars and currently have a pair of 7x36mm Opticron BGA roof prisms from about 20 years ago. These are sadly out of collimation and I really want a little more magnification and aperture. I like the sturdy build quality of the 7x36s and wonder on that basis if the Hawkes might be a better choice. Main use will be daytime in truth but with occasional astro use on holidays etc. I am hoping for the same sort of optical quality as my old 7x36s. Alternatively, if it's likely that my old ones can be serviced and re-collimated then I'd be interested to hear how. Or if anyone has any suggestions of anything better of approx 8x40, for a £200 budget I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks all

Shane

Delighted with ours. We have a pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL that the wife tended to grab when on safari and occasional stargazing. So I got a pair of the endurance 8x42 so we didn't have to squabble over just one pair. I've been delighted with them for daytime and nocturnal. And have no issue if those are the ones I'm left with. Nice crisp views and a pleasing 8 degree vista... I'm a fan... :thumbsup:

I still favour these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/helios-naturesport-plus-8x40-wa-binoculars.html

+8° field of view, great for fast moving targets around the garden!, good for vast swathes of the night sky, but well below your price bracket ?
I bought mine from FLO during one of their Summer special's a lot cheaper than todays price, and their my most used binocular.
I know @John had some good words regarding their 10x50's. 

cheers Charic

I think being used to the roof prism design, they seem more robust to me. I am quite happy to spend £200 (plus a bit maybe) to get the same sort of optical quality as I have (other than the off collimation) . I am starting to edge unerringly towards the Hawkes.

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

My only gripe I think is that I'd prefer the objective covers to be removable. Hopefully they are to some extent.

I have 8x32 Frontier EDs with the same style tethered objective covers. A small tug untethered them and now I just use them when I put the bins back in the case. With the bins hanging around my neck I don't feel the need for objective covers, only the eyepiece rainguard.

I chose the Frontier EDs by visiting a shop and trying the various (8x32) options in my price range. It was a very close call between the Frontier ED and the Endurance ED and in truth I can't give a concrete reason as to what made me choose the Frontiers and it could have easily gone the other way. Assuming the quality of the 8x42 models are similar I can't see that you'd be disappointed with either. 

47 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I think I am settled on the Endurance 8x42s.

From my quick search, a Hawke demonstration video puts their 'Frontier'  range ahead of their 'Endurance' range? the following prices are for the Endurance/Frontier, a difference of only £10? (if I've not misread something!!!) £209.99 or £219.99.

*Edit* ..........Yes I did miss something? £389.99 for ED.  Ooops!

I looked through some Hawke Endurance and they were ok but just didn't seem to be just goid enough to better my current bins. I therefore went a bit overboard and bought these from FLO 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opticron-binoculars/opticron-dba-vhd-42mm-binoculars.html

With the current £100 cashback offer they are £450 which is a great value price for what is a top end bino. Not quite Swarowski but close enough for my usage.

9 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I looked through some Hawke Endurance and they were ok but just didn't seem to be just goid enough to better my current bins. I therefore went a bit overboard and bought these from FLO 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opticron-binoculars/opticron-dba-vhd-42mm-binoculars.html

With the current £100 cashback offer they are £450 which is a great value price for what is a top end bino. Not quite Swarowski but close enough for my usage.

Very nice Shane! That can legitimately be called a sizeable budget overspend!! :) 

I have a pair of Barr & Stroud 8x42 Savannah. They are non ED but have a very nice 143m per 1000m, 8.2 degrees which is nice.

Enjoy yours, they do look very nice and I'm sure the optics will be fab. 

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

Good thing you had the chance to look through the endurance before buying! 

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Very nice Shane! That can legitimately be called a sizeable budget overspend!! :) 

I have a pair of Barr & Stroud 8x42 Savannah. They are non ED but have a very nice 143m per 1000m, 8.2 degrees which is nice.

Enjoy yours, they do look very nice and I'm sure the optics will be fab. 

Indeed matey. I thought that if I was buying a pair I might as well try and spend the bulk of this years annual astro budget - £50 per month - and then pay it back monthly off my interest free card

On 12/02/2018 at 13:20, Moonshane said:

Alternatively, if it's likely that my old ones can be serviced and re-collimated then I'd be interested to hear how.

Shane - you may be surprised to learn that your binoculars are still under warranty but covered for parts only. Re-collimation for a BGA binocular is around £45.

You can talk to the Opticron service department on 01582 726522, select option 1.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Archived