SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Questions to ask an astronaut..?

Jonk

I was bought tickets for Christmas to see Chris Hadfield in Southampton tonight, including VIP meet and greet after the show.

Although I don't get star struck, I will ask him to sign his book that I also got for Christmas and have a photo taken with him, you know, for the records.

This also got me thinking... what can I ask him that no one has ever asked?

A question I was going to ask was why do the majority of photos taken and shared are nearly always of the Earth?

I heard Tim Peake say once that there's too much light reflecting from earth and the sun to see anything out in space, but surely on the opposite side of the cupola, during hours of darkness and no moon, there must be some absolutely amazing things to see out in the big black just naked eye? 

Imagine a 20" ota poking out of a porthole (not literally), but I've never read or heard anything like this on the ISS.

What say you all? Got any awesome questions to ask an astronaut?

A few months ago I heard someone on the radio ask Tim Peake a question - and he sounded more impressed than usual about its originality. (I guess they don't often get unique questions.)

The question was (basically): if Isaac Newton turned up today, which one thing would you tell him about?

(Not sure if I'd go for general relativity, or the modern interpretation of light - both Newton's subjects.)

By the way Hadfield did "Desert island Discs" on Radio 4 a while back (probably still downloadable).  I don't usually listen to these things but he told an interesting story about hitting a large bird on a high speed/low level test run, in I think an F-15.

His test pilot career must have had a few interesting moments as well as his space days!

Not sure of a question, but presumably the response to 'why do the majority of photos taken and shared are nearly always of the Earth?' is that there's nothing else to look at!

Plus the fact that it's beautiful, of course.

16 minutes ago, Ally8446 said:

Nearly 50 years ago we put men on the Moon.

50 years from now where does he think we'll be with reference to space travel. What will we have accomplished ?

That's what I'd like to ask him.

Yes also the ISS is definitely going to be decommissioned eventually (no firm date yet), so what should the next major project be? A station further out (with more radiation exposure than low earth orbit), a longer Moon stay (perhaps for a few months), or an asteroid rendezvous maybe?  (These are the sorts of choice I've heard debated recently anyway.)

57 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

"What happens if someone farts on a spaceship?"

Not as bad as doing it in a space suit me thinks :icon_biggrin: It is actually a valid question though because although you can recirculate the air the smells must linger unless they have activated carbon filters etc.

Alan

Well, very good talk and a great evening, mostly serious with some humour here and there.

Finished the show on the guitar playing space oddity.

No time for conversations afterwards unfortunately, but literally an in and out meet and photo opportunity.

IMG_2548.thumb.JPG.d792f23e65bd6be7cffc7982d343162c.JPG

Archived