Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield_winners.thumb.jpg.89a389e06ea148084fc6cb2e2cf32749.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
vernmid

Sharpcap Polar Alignment

vernmid    74

I just wanted to say how impressed I am by the Sharpcap Polar Alignment tool. No more soggy knees for me! I always struggled with peering through the polar scope and this tool is a breeze to use. Set up time is reduced significantly and my PAS is soooo much better! For those who've not tried it yet and are struggling with PA, I highly recommend giving it a try.

Thanks

Vern

• Like 2

Filroden    1,219
14 minutes ago, vernmid said:

I just wanted to say how impressed I am by the Sharpcap Polar Alignment tool. No more soggy knees for me! I always struggled with peering through the polar scope and this tool is a breeze to use. Set up time is reduced significantly and my PAS is soooo much better! For those who've not tried it yet and are struggling with PA, I highly recommend giving it a try.

It is very easy but you need a reasonable field of view through your camera for it to work. It's great for my 400mm fl. My one criticism is that it's not *incredible* accurate compared to drifting. It shows almost perfect PA on screen (less than 20") but once measured again in PHD2, for example, its closer to within 10'. Still more than good enough for guiding and a significant time saving.

Rob63    527
12 minutes ago, Filroden said:

It is very easy but you need a reasonable field of view through your camera for it to work. It's great for my 400mm fl. My one criticism is that it's not *incredible* accurate compared to drifting. It shows almost perfect PA on screen (less than 20") but once measured again in PHD2, for example, its closer to within 10'. Still more than good enough for guiding and a significant time saving.

I think a lot depends on your mount, I used to have an AVX and had similar "accuracy" with Sharpcaps polar align < 10" according to sharpcap but around 5' or more according to PHD2 drift. 

I now have an EQ6-R mount and use sharpcap to get within 10" on both RA and DEC, subsequent checking using PHD2 drift shows I am always within 30"

Rob.

Craney    633

+1  for SharpCap.    Excellent piece of software.  I use an Equinox 80mm F6.25 for wide field.  My work flow is to put a 0.5x reducer in the 120MC  nosepiece to bring my FL down to 250mm.  Get focus (  remember the graduation from the focuser for next time...saves precious minutes) and go for it.

Once aligned ( 3-4 minutes) I remove the camera and I'm ready to go with 500mm and I have not had any trouble at all with it.

...and Robin is extremely helpful with any problems should they crop up with the camera interface.

Sean.

newbie alert    273

Sharpcap is pretty good..in my view more accurate than polemaster...ive not tried drift aligning in phd2 yet but I'm hoping it's more accurate than sharpcap..i have a feeling it is..