Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups_winners.thumb.jpg.b5fb18580607a749e382266fe55a02a1.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Astrofriend

What to do when the weather is bad? Use scientific data!

Here is a project I have thought about over many years. What can I do with all scientific data that are out there?

I tested this already 15 years ago with the POSS-I data from Mount Palomar observatory with good results.

Now I'm just practising this how to handle the data and get something out of it. One easy task is just to make pictures from the data and compare it with my own photos. Just to get an idea how much worse my photos are compare to the telescopes at Mount Palomar.

Here you can see how I have processed the first two Messier objects, M1 and M13:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/science-data/science-data.html

Even more exiting is if I'm in the future can do some science with it.

I have many cloudy nights so I'm desperate!

/Lars

• Like 1

Hi,

Now I have finished the M1, M13, M31, M42 and M45. It's very interesting to study the details, remember these photos was taken when your grandfather was in action!

/Lars

Clouds and clouds and even more clouds, what is happening with our weather?

Good then I have found a new part of the astronomy, scientific data. This is of course a bit outside amateur  astronomy, but what to do when we never nowadays have a clear sky?

This time I took a look at the Kepler spacecraft and it's data. Normally used to find exoplanets. But that data can also be used to examine variable stars. One big plus, the observatory is out in space, no clouds!

One of the more exiting thing I did was to set together 44 months of data as a GIF movie. And by luck there was one very clearly seen variable star:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/science-data/science-data-kepler.html

It was a bit tricky to get this to be correct because the satellite rotate 90 degrees every three months.

To  read these files I need two new tools which found at NASA homepage. The DS9 Fits reader and Fv reader. The other tools was the ones I normally use, AstroImageJ, Fitswork and IrfanView. In the beginning I also used a hex binary editor, but didn't need it in the end.

/Lars

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Patbloke
      All set up to go with the sole aim of getting some Saturn images!
      To start off it was Jupes again to get some imaging done... The GRS superbly placed and looking Redder than a lidl tomato (subliminal advertising)
      After capturing some film it was time to properly align using Polaris and that wonderful on ya knees polar scope method!!! Boom!! three calibration stars and 'GoTo' whatever you wish for!
      Cygnus time - Check sheets and then give up and go and fetch Sissy Haas bible... 

20 lovely doubles, not rushed just enjoyed and studied hard... working with my Starwave f/11 102 and for those difficult ones a 6.5 Meade HD and even with the 2.5 Revelation Barlow gave interesting views... 200x the recommended max mag on that Starwave, I squeezed more than that out of her. 
      The stars looked round and colourful the companions sometimes hard to spot... But there's a great deal of satisfaction when you see them close by. 
      I made some star symbol notes in the book when a true double of beauty made me smile, my top few were: 
      Σ 2668  Superb
      26 Gyg  lovely
      17 Cyg  
      19 Cyg  Bright Red
      Ψ Cyg 
      Σ 2687  Sharp
      49 Cyg  Faint
      48 Cyg  Wide
      H IV 113  Spot on (why did I write that?)
      61 Cyg  Nice
      Also - Σ 2760, 59 Cyg, 52 Cyg, O Σ 410, Σ 2705, Σ 2588, S 726, Σ 2578, 16 Cyg, δ Cyg
      So that's my haul for the night... By the time I had finished those it was 01:30 and cloud had covered what was left of Saturn. The great thing about that session was that I didn't have those long whiney scope movements around the sky, it was all within the constellation. I expect my neighbours with open windows were also grateful. 
      Love that 102 f/11 Starwave scope.... A lot of the comments in Sissy Haas recommend a 150mm for some of the hits I made with my 102 so I'm happy... to get the colour is special as well... Not sure my alignment was that great because after entering RA & Dec the doubles were not always centered which resulted in me having to move towards the nearest double looking star a lot of the times.
      Didn't get -19 Cyg or T Cyg although I tried... 

Oh and on editing my images I notice I bagged both Europa and Io.... shame Jupiter disappeared behind next doors roof before the shadow made a transit! I've had to lighten one image to show the moons so beware you professionals 🙂

• By Patbloke
      Can't make my mind up on whether or not to buy a newt for ZWO imaging.
      The Skywatcher pds range seem to be modified slightly for prime focus imaging (is this just a DSLR photography thing?) Every imager I have ever met seems to use the smaller newts like the 130 or 150 pds... Someone said that there's less possibility of the tube being bothered by the wind for one reason? 
      I realise that aperture is king when visual observing (yes I also realise that quality is as important) not so sure on imaging?
      I found a reasonably priced used 130p but doesn't have dual focuser which I am used to on my scopes, so I'm tempted to just go for it... However as once having access to a 200p I used to love using that scope for visual... 
      Not sure and I am procrastinating over this one so much I think I'm going to need therapy!!! I have resorted to trying a poll for the first time 🙂 Not sure how that works either, but every day is a school day folks!
      P.S I am reading every photon counts but it's taking some time 

• By lenestor4545
      Hey!
      I'm new here and I'm looking for advice to improve my planetary imaging. I've been using a Sky-Watcher 8" dobsonian telescope with a Celestron Neximage 5 Solar System Imager and RegiStaxs to process the videos I take. So far I've received decent images but they look faint and have little to no detail. Here are recent pictures of Jupiter and Mars I took. Any advice?

• By Sunshine
      Well, I have captured Saturn for the first time and it’s a rush, but unfortunately, the universe conspired against me tonight.
      The full moon was about 40 degrees away, it was hazy making stars look like they were boiling, and squadrons of mosquitoes attacked with Kamikaze like zeal!. I slapped myself silly but they eventually ran me out of my backyard, cursing all the way inside.
      Hopefully next time seeing will be better and I’ll spray myself with repellent, and boy do i need to get my focus correct, i need a mask.

• By Yogesh
      Hi
      I have recently purchased a ZWO ASI120MC-S webcam from FLO. I wanted to try it the other night so I decided to get some test images for the moon. I was using Sharpcap for this. I manged to get the video and was using Autostakkert to stack it. On the final stacked image I can see that there are some strange vertical lines.  I have attached a picture of that. There is also a zoomed in image of a region and I can see some small squares almost resembling the pixels on the sensor. Below are my capture settings as given by SharpCap.
      [ZWO ASI120MC-S] Debayer Preview=On Pan=0 Tilt=0 Output Format=AVI files (*.avi) Binning=1 Capture Area=1280x960 Colour Space=RAW8 Temperature=19.2 High Speed Mode=Off Overclock=0 Turbo USB=86(Auto) Flip=Both Frame Rate Limit=60 fps Gain=50(Auto) Exposure=0.001993 Timestamp Frames=Off White Bal (B)=95 White Bal (R)=52 Brightness=0 Auto Exp Max Gain=50 Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30000 Auto Exp Target Brightness=100 Mono Bin=Off Apply Flat=None Subtract Dark=None #Black Point Display Black Point=0 #MidTone Point Display MidTone Point=0.5 #White Point Display White Point=1 TimeStamp=2018-06-25T23:13:22.6772909Z SharpCapVersion=3.1.5214.0 For Autostakkert (v2.6.8 ) I was not doing anything fancy. Pressed analyze and then used 50% of the frames to stack. Used 200 as the AP size. Also, had the drizzle as 1.5x
      My camera was mounted to a skywatcher 200pds  and HEQ5 mount.
      I am failing to understand what is going wrong here. Is the camera a problem or stacking is an issue ? Please let me know if there is any more information that you need.

Thanks and Regards,
      Yogesh
      moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15.tif
      moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15_ZOOM.tif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.