Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep20_banner.thumb.jpg.c34e90166f1f5aa93f5211765a962cda.jpg

bottletopburly

Flymesh bahtinov mask

I came across a video on youtube of a flymesh bahtinov , not focal length dependant has anyone ever tried this method before ? mesh he used is approx 1.5 mm sq  and one half of the mesh is at 45deg to the other half ,found after i purchased a mask for my mak but still need one for my 130pds .

https://youtu.be/IeUs7pFwMJw

Edited by bottletopburly
link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting.

I need one for my frac so think i'll give that a go at some point. 

1 minute ago, ShrewView said:

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting.

I need one for my frac so think i'll give that a go at some point. 

As simple as you can get ,if it works then great £20 saved 

This actually does work!

I couldn't find the thin foam camping mat I was going to use but I still put together a prototype and tried it last night on Rigel. Lovely spikes to help focus. Think I'll make a proper one now I know it works. Still, I proudly present my hand crafted and limited edition, cardboard, carrot-fly mesh and superglue bat mask!

20180212_135104.jpg

• Like 2

Wonder if it would work for a DLSR lens - diameter 82mm?

Edited by MarkyD

4 hours ago, ShrewView said:

This actually does work!

I couldn't find the thin foam camping mat I was going to use but I still put together a prototype and tried it last night on Rigel. Lovely spikes to help focus. Think I'll make a proper one now I know it works. Still, I proudly present my hand crafted and limited edition, cardboard, carrot-fly mesh and superglue bat mask!

20180212_135104.jpg

Great job at least we now know it works

I likey. Thanks for putting this up. This is exactly what I need for my nikon lenses

Where do you source the flymesh from? Is it something that can be had at B&Q?

By the looks of it I’d say head down your local Wilkinsons etc and find a cheap sieve and apply scissors...

2 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

I likey. Thanks for putting this up. This is exactly what I need for my nikon lenses

i just bought a sq metre for under a fiver,from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M1X4FAU/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1 enough to do loads

15 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

I think I spied some frying pan splatter guards in my local pound shop the other day, its surprising the stuff they sell that can be adapted for astro use.

Alan 

Great idea I haven’t seen the video do you need the bar in the middle

Neil

8 minutes ago, gtis said:

Neil

Yes because the mesh has to placed in two halves with one half rotated wrt the other half. 

9 minutes ago, gtis said:

Neil

You don’t need the bar but because one side is 45deg to the other you need to overlap slightly , what I thought of doing is overlap 6mm then glue together with superglue 

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I think I spied some frying pan splatter guards in my local pound shop the other day, its surprising the stuff they sell that can be adapted for astro use.

Alan 

Good spotting Alan ?

I wonder if there's an ideal mesh size? Just compared my homemade bodge with the proper hard plastic one I have for my other scope and the fly mesh is about 1/3 the size.

7 minutes ago, ShrewView said:

I wonder if there's an ideal mesh size? Just compared my homemade bodge with the proper hard plastic one I have for my other scope and the fly mesh is about 1/3 the size.

flymesh lets more light in compared to a bahtinov ,if it works does it matter

Great job, looks professional. ’m very tempted with this. My bhatinov mask cuts a lot of light and this is a real problem when focusing with the Ha filter. This could be a nice solution. 

It's a nice idea! 

The difference is that the diagonals are at 45 degrees so it's not as easy to judge when the vertical (or horizontal) is exactly halfway between them.  In other words, I don't believe you'll achieve such accurate focusing with this flyscreen approach.

A slight modification to the design would fix that.

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley

31 minutes ago, sharkmelley said:

It's a nice idea! 

The difference is that the diagonals are at 45 degrees so it's not as easy to judge when the vertical (or horizontal) is exactly halfway between them.  In other words, I don't believe you'll achieve such accurate focusing with this flyscreen approach.

A slight modification to the design would fix that.

Mark

I’ve yet to try it out 

Heres my version, made about 3 of varying sizes so far :icon_biggrin: 

20180225_131245[1].jpg

20180225_131129[1].jpg

• Like 2