Narrowband

Flymesh bahtinov mask

bottletopburly

I came across a video on youtube of a flymesh bahtinov , not focal length dependant has anyone ever tried this method before ? mesh he used is approx 1.5 mm sq  and one half of the mesh is at 45deg to the other half ,found after i purchased a mask for my mak but still need one for my 130pds .

https://youtu.be/IeUs7pFwMJw

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This actually does work!

I couldn't find the thin foam camping mat I was going to use but I still put together a prototype and tried it last night on Rigel. Lovely spikes to help focus. Think I'll make a proper one now I know it works. Still, I proudly present my hand crafted and limited edition, cardboard, carrot-fly mesh and superglue bat mask!

20180212_135104.jpg

4 hours ago, ShrewView said:

This actually does work!

I couldn't find the thin foam camping mat I was going to use but I still put together a prototype and tried it last night on Rigel. Lovely spikes to help focus. Think I'll make a proper one now I know it works. Still, I proudly present my hand crafted and limited edition, cardboard, carrot-fly mesh and superglue bat mask!

20180212_135104.jpg

Great job at least we now know it works

2 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

I likey. Thanks for putting this up. This is exactly what I need for my nikon lenses

Where do you source the flymesh from? Is it something that can be had at B&Q?

i just bought a sq metre for under a fiver,from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M1X4FAU/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1 enough to do loads

15 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

I likey. Thanks for putting this up. This is exactly what I need for my nikon lenses

Where do you source the flymesh from? Is it something that can be had at B&Q?

I think I spied some frying pan splatter guards in my local pound shop the other day, its surprising the stuff they sell that can be adapted for astro use.

Alan 

9 minutes ago, gtis said:

Great idea I haven’t seen the video do you need the bar in the middle

Neil

You don’t need the bar but because one side is 45deg to the other you need to overlap slightly , what I thought of doing is overlap 6mm then glue together with superglue 

7 minutes ago, ShrewView said:

I wonder if there's an ideal mesh size? Just compared my homemade bodge with the proper hard plastic one I have for my other scope and the fly mesh is about 1/3 the size.

flymesh lets more light in compared to a bahtinov ,if it works does it matter

It's a nice idea! 

The difference is that the diagonals are at 45 degrees so it's not as easy to judge when the vertical (or horizontal) is exactly halfway between them.  In other words, I don't believe you'll achieve such accurate focusing with this flyscreen approach.

A slight modification to the design would fix that.

Mark

31 minutes ago, sharkmelley said:

It's a nice idea! 

The difference is that the diagonals are at 45 degrees so it's not as easy to judge when the vertical (or horizontal) is exactly halfway between them.  In other words, I don't believe you'll achieve such accurate focusing with this flyscreen approach.

A slight modification to the design would fix that.

Mark

I’ve yet to try it out 

Archived