Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

MattJenko

On off behaviour of ASI178MM

I recently acquired an ASI 178MM (non cooled) and seem to have a bit of a problem. I have managed to get it connected, but often, it will simply not download frames. It just sits there. I have an ASI1600Cool and that works first time, every time, but this 178MM is far more precocious. Just as I am about to pack it up and send back, it comes to life and behaves perfectly normally with fast framerates etc . I have swapped USB3 cables and same result, reinstalled all the drivers, same result. I think I just want confirmation that I am not missing something daft and that I should send it back for appraisal by a professional!

Have both ASI1600mmc and ASI178mcc and did not have any problems with them except occasional disconnect from USB hub (in cold temps) which I diagnosed to be due to poor USB3.0 cable.

Just a question, do you hear familiar USB disconnect sound prior to camera stops working? Or maybe better question would be - do you have any sort of speakers attached to PC?

2 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Just a question, do you hear familiar USB disconnect sound prior to camera stops working? Or maybe better question would be - do you have any sort of speakers attached to PC?

Hi Vlaiv, no disconnect noise, camera still connected in SharpCap, PHD2, SGP (whichever program I test with), just no frames. In  FireCapture it says "Capture Failed". Think I will drop FLO a note on Monday and see what they say.

Edited by MattJenko
get name right!

11 minutes ago, MattJenko said:

Hi Vlaiv, no disconnect noise, camera still connected in SharpCap, PHD2, SGP (whichever program I test with), just no frames. In  FireCapture it says "Capture Failed". Think I will drop FLO a note on Monday and see what they say.

Did you try to adjust "USB Traffic" setting (I believe it is named something like that)?. I've read before on topic of achieving high frame rate that it should be changed (lowered?) if there are no captured frames (like black screen).

Yes, playing with all the settings, and it eventually worked with default USB traffic settings, and then didn't work with the same ones 30 mins later. Will ask vendor.