Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

tomato

A well sorted RC has the edge over big refractors for imaging small DSOs?

tomato    385

Well, after much further deliberation, and despite still really liking the idea of having a CFF RC, (if only just to look at on cloudy nights), it looks like common sense is going to prevail and we will go with a refractor.

Aperture fever is still raging however, so its looking like an Esprit 150. :icon_biggrin:

ollypenrice    18,143

I don't know which is best but I concern myself only with the practice, not the theory. I imaged with Yves' 14 nch ODK for two years and now go after similar targets with a TEC 140. The big one was working at 0.66"PP, the TEC at about 0.9. 

The Barlow question is a good one but Roland Christen would not agree that the Barlow has no place. If you want to blow the standard theory out of the water have a look at this capture by Julian Shaw using a 2x AP advanced barlow at about F15 in a 6 inch refractor. Exposure was about 7 hours from NZ, putting the Sombrero higher than it is for us. Processing was mine and done quickly after a big lunch we had together!

SOMBRERO%20JULIANS%20DATA%20V2%20CROP-X2

My imperfect understanding is that the Barlow was used not to increase the image scale (I think this was resampled downwards to the pre-barlow scale) but to enhance the sampling on the stars and improve their quality. 

There are, in observatories world wide, planty of sexy looking Serrurier truss reflectors gather dust after their owners have been driven to distraction by them. But there are others which do work.

Whatever, I'd have been just a bit pleased with this capture myself!

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 3

I'm in a slightly different dilemma. I have my 8" RC / reducer combo which took a while to fettle, mainly due to getting to grips with RC collimation and now that I've tamed the beast i face a new set of challenges.

• Keeping the primary mirror clean
  • Keeping the secondary dew free, even with a seconday heater installed.

The RC has a few benefits in that i can image @ 1600mm or at 1100mm with my reducer, but having to keep stripping it down 2-3 times a year to clean the primary is starting to feel like a chore, Whilst my 102mm doublet, is always hassle free and a joy to use.

So for me, I'm thinking that something like a 150mm apo might be the right choice even if the image scale is a little smaller and the resolution is a bit lower vs the RC on galaxies, i think the trade off will be worth it.

Rich.

• Like 1

vlaiv    511
1 hour ago, Northernlight said:

I'm in a slightly different dilemma. I have my 8" RC / reducer combo which took a while to fettle, mainly due to getting to grips with RC collimation and now that I've tamed the beast i face a new set of challenges.

The RC has a few benefits in that i can image @ 1600mm or at 1100mm with my reducer, but having to keep stripping it down 2-3 times a year to clean the primary is starting to feel like a chore, Whilst my 102mm doublet, is always hassle free and a joy to use.

So for me, I'm thinking that something like a 150mm apo might be the right choice even if the image scale is a little smaller and the resolution is a bit lower vs the RC on galaxies, i think the trade off will be worth it.

Rich.

Why do you need to clean it that often?

Mirror systems don't need to be cleaned that often at all. If you see a bit of dust settle down on mirrors, you don't need to clean it - it will not impact optical performance at all. Most people don't clean mirrors for several years.

tomato    385

Yup, Decision  is made, I guess if we ever get tired of minimal effort imaging with the Esprit, (as if!) then it could always be traded in for a little used TT RC....

Going to start another thread on the benefits of a temperature compensated auto focuser with a big refractor.

swag72    5,696
9 hours ago, Northernlight said:

Rich.

This was my exact reason for moving from the ODK10 to a refractor. I had it for 2 seasons and we have a pretty terrible time over here with yellow pine pollen in the spring. I knew that one day I was going to have to tackle a mirror clean and there was no way I was up for that..... so I sold the scope before the mirrors got that bad and settled on a 152mm refractor.... heaven!!

• Like 1

ollypenrice    18,143
36 minutes ago, swag72 said:

This was my exact reason for moving from the ODK10 to a refractor. I had it for 2 seasons and we have a pretty terrible time over here with yellow pine pollen in the spring. I knew that one day I was going to have to tackle a mirror clean and there was no way I was up for that..... so I sold the scope before the mirrors got that bad and settled on a 152mm refractor.... heaven!!

An increasingly long list of people I know have done the same...

Olly

• Like 1

For me, it's a similar issues as Sara with lots of dust and pollen type debris on the mirrors, hence wanting a bigger apo as easy to clean and maintain.

Sadly even second hand this would be way beyond my budget.  My budget will literally extend to a SW esprit 150. 

Edited by Northernlight
Typo

swag72    5,696
7 hours ago, Northernlight said:

Sadly even second hand this would be way beyond my budget.  My budget will literally extend to a SW esprit 150. 

I don't think that there is a jot wrong with the Esprit 150 - It seems like a well accomplished and perfectly performing scope to me...... One I would have bought had a secondhand TMB 152 not been offered to me :)  Couple with the right camera and you can have some very good resolution imaging (sky allowing of course!)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   1 member

• Similar Content

• By Sunshine
      Hello! i am being offered this 100ED at a price which is hard to resist by an acquaintance who inherited it and doesn't plan on "checking out galaxies" as he put it LOL, it looks like a well built scope and a good frac is a scope for life, anyone have/had this scope?
      thx!
    • By Ben the Ignorant
      Do these lens edges look black to you?

Uuh, yeah, sure!

But now?

Oooh!

That was the blackening applied to my new Astro-Professional doublet. Bear in mind that the light exiting at the front first had to pierce the layer of blackening on the other side, but it remained pretty intense, right? Good commendable will on the scope maker's part, and job done, but a second layer of felt marker paint was in order. Yes, paint, felt markers actually apply a kind of paint mixed with a solvent that evaporates very quick. Thus it's quite natural that a second layer is needed for opacity.
      Stray light will take any path that's open, and bounce off the rough side of glass that has the ideal texture to spread it in every direction, so I also treat bevels. Look at the previous pics, they were not covered at all.

The real black distinguishes itself strongly from the mere factory gray. If you knew the lens' specs, and the angle of vision, you could reconstruct an image of that room with a specialized software, but that's another story.

While I had the lenses out of the cell, I made permanent rotation marks. A ghost of the factory inverted "V" is visible, I made scratches with a needle the first time I opened the cell, but during the first reassembly I suspect the lenses have rotated because a miniscule amount of paint at the wrong place made the rings sticky. Turning them made the lenses turn, I suppose, based on some loss of snap at the eyepiece, while the star test seemed similar. For future maintenance I dug two notches with the edge of a diamond-coated knife sharpener. Thanks to diamond hardness the job was done in seconds.

But what happened to those unblack edges, you ask?

That compact led flashlight is viciously powerful but not enough for two layers of black paint at entry and two at the exit. An optician wrote that paint (or ink?) hardens and shrinks enough to compress a lens out of ideal shape, that could be detectable in sensitive tests. Maybe, because the tolerances are only several dozens or hundreds of molecules; 500 nanometers in wavelength of light divided by a good lamba/20 wavefront would amount to only 25 nanometers, we're talking layers of molecules, here. But I still don't figure if the claim is far-fetched or not.

The two rear rings have been painted with ordinary blackboard paint. It can chip, I know, however unlike lacquer it dries fast enough to not interrupt the work session, and it's so easy to reapply. The black lens edges coupled to the matte rings produce this effect: the lenses seem to vanish. Direct light from two lamps, a white ring under the cell reflects light at the same angles as intrusive light during real-world observation, but only an extremely faint ghosting occurs. Do you see it?

Why two locking rings, by the way? Because a single one could make the lens it touches turn, and ruin the critical rotation alignment. The second buffer ring prevents that. A little not-yet-dry paint that bleeded between them may have caused the problem for a while.

Of course, at shallow angles the lenses reflect some light, but the rings behind them remain discreet. It took a white ceiling and a white column (plus a Strat) to make these reflections.

Some blackboard paint bled inside the cell scribing, which is not bright ink but an actual etching done into the aluminum with an interesting pointy tool, that's why it's shiny gray. Instead of spending time trying to scrape it, I filled all the letters and numbers; it created a nice, unique variant. Turns out, I always wanted a cell with dark engraving, and it's not lazyness talking.

The bevel and the inside of the outer cell is matted-painted, too. If you own an Hyperion eyepiece, the hard, dull black finish in the barrel is the ideal finish but I don't konw how to do it, unaware if it's a paint (doubt it) or some chemical process. I often stargaze from my city, lamps everywhere, so I don't want any shiny areas. Everything but the optical surfaces should be dull black. This will also be useful if I do astrophoto one day - uh, one night - because cameras are so sensitive, and exposures so long, any stray light could damage contrast.

But, Ben, but Ben! What are those white dots on the outside of the cell? I never liked the velours that barely puts the brakes on the dewshield's motion, and lets it wobble. The solution is those simple foamy rubber adhesive pads. Trial and error determined the right number was eight. A ring of pads at the very rear of the cell, and another at the very front suppress wobble completely, and they keep the dewshield in place even with a 700 gram tilt-lock (my invention so I get to name it) counterweight attached to it, with the scope pointing vertically.

A strip of tape takes marks at the screws' location. I remove the strip, measure the separation of the marks while it's on a flat surface, put it back on the cell, and voilà! Perfect centerline for the rubber pads.

Removing lenses means recentering them but their screws are not standard, so I recut a damaged mini screwdriver...

...and quickly glued pieces of any tubing I had to repair the handle and make it more ergonomic. The two notches in different shapes at the screwsdriver's collar help me keep track of turns and half-turns. This slot shape is not standard, a non-matching driver would damage the plastic:

The tolerance between cell and lenses was nicely tight, but thanks to the extra thickness of paint, they almost self-align. After inserting them, and driving the screws at the same depth, I did an artificial star-test, found only one screw needed 1/8th turn to get near-perfect centering. The lenses require a gentle push on the side with a toothpick in order to be seated in the cell. They just slide against the cell walls without rubbing, and exit the same without catching. If they were too close to the walls, centering screws would be disabled, and thermal pinching could occur.
      It seems to have turned out pretty okay. The semi-apo quality shows in the very pale lime, almost white disk, and the purple ring. Intrafocal thru Explore 4.7mm eyepiece (120x). The Explore 4.7 increases chromatism in this refractor and in my achro, but the Myriad 9 reduces it, however it does not magnify enough for star-testing.

That rounds up my first line of defense against stray light. How does it perform? Well, with the dewshield retracted, and two lamps shining into the cell from less than two meters:

The glass edge and its retaining rings don't shine, and they cast a nice black shadow. The two baffles down the tube are not enough, though, I need to add a couple more, that will be for a later date.
    • By mikeyj1
      Hi all, 
      I am thinking of adding one of these to my Christmas list.  I want it primarily for astrophotography with my aps-c Canon on the Star adventurer mount, with a sturdy photo tripod (I have all of those already).   For £399 it seems like the best combination of value and performance to me, but what's your opinion?
      https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-70ed-f6-travel-refractor-telescope-with-2-crayford-focuser-finder-diagonal-eyepiece.html
      thanks
      Mike
    • By DeepSkyMan
      I recently posted about my first successful collimation experience (an SCT).  I'm sure we all have our stories, of those moments when we perceived optical clarity.  Come on everyone tell us of those collimation 'eureka' moments and your experience of your first observing session immediately following.
      Paul.
    • By Some Dude With A Mak- Cass
      found a $40 refractor at a goodwill today. will include some pictures, is it worth the money? has a EQ mount included, and for just 40 I'm seriously considering it. tips? it has no eyepeices included, but the mount looks sturdy and the i don't yet have a refractor so i really want it.. if its worth it. pretty sure its worth over $200 but idk 4 sure. 

remember that i know so little about refractors that i had to google how they worked.. again. but that mount alone would be worth it, even if the optical tube isn't. please feel free to tell me its not worth it, i don NOT want to waste money on this.