Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

kev100

Bino adapter for an old Manfrotto tripod ....

Hi,

I have an old Manfrotto tripod that I use for my Celestron 20x80 binos. As you (hopfully) can see from the pix, I use the screw in the tripod head to directly attach to the bino mount. Is there an adaptor I could use to make it easier to get the binos on and off? I don't know what the tripod model is.

IMG_20180210_152223.thumb.jpg.bc20c8f14da3afb601863ae9331f83b9.jpgIMG_20180210_152041.thumb.jpg.2db95a02709da98fa8f8673646f4748e.jpg

Cheers,

Kev

You can get a C-bracket (like an L-bracket with an extra bend. It could stay permanently attached to your tripod plate, and you would attach and remove the binocular to/from it.

Cheers Steve,

I was thinking more along the lines of, perhaps, some sort of a quick release thing, with a base I can leave on the tripod, and a 'shoe' I can leave attached to the centre bar of the bins. It's off-putting to be messing around with screws every time.

Kev 

Edited by kev100

The option I have for quick removal comes from the Manfrotto 222 trigger grip. 

Sadly the item is not available new anymore, but there are similar type fittings out there, or on the off-chance, you come across a second hand 222.

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

Edited by Charic

Cheers Charic,

That's the sort of thing, except instead of an L-bracket, something that fits onto the centre bar fitting, rather than the end ...

Kev

Yes, the bracket is an issue you'll have to overcome, I don't have/need that type of fitting.

Heres my original head from Manfrotto, its the MHXPRO-3W (Un-used but not for sale!) similar connection type, and those stubs handles are extendable. Its the best part of 100 notes here in UK but a bracket is still required.

IMG_2624.JPG

Edited by Charic

16 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Cheers Charic,

That's the sort of thing, except instead of an L-bracket, something that fits onto the centre bar fitting, rather than the end ...

That's what a C-bracket is. :D

• Like 1

Steve mentions an Opticron mount on his website, for larger centre mounted binoculars, their about £20 but you'll still need a fast connector between the head and the mount.

Edited by Charic

Hi Steve, Charic,

Do you have links to those? A C bracket and the opticron mount?

Cheers,

Kev

Hi Charic,

I agree, Steve's site is a goldmine. As for the opticron part, I'd prefer not to use a bracket of that type. What do you reckon to this, though: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-Universal-Adapter-Release-Compatible/dp/B01LZ87MLK/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518282756&sr=1-19&keywords=head+quick+release

It appears to be what I need .. in that there's a plate to attach to the tripod head, and a quick release bit that I can leave on the centre bar of the bins ...

Kev

.......looks ok but doesn't appear to be quick!

Looks like the plate once installed is held secure in place with Alan/Hex bolts?
You would need a lever/tool to remove maybe?

Edited by Charic

Kev, the first one with the knurled spirit bubble? If thats a locking feature ( pull to unlock ?)  then it would be ok! 

Second one looks fine.

Cheers. Seems obvious now that I've seen them, but, not being a photography buff, I didn't even know that such devices existed!

Thanks!

Kev

The second option is Manfrotto friendly? and as long as your present binocular clamp fits flush to the fast fit connector, there shouldn't be an issue.

No matter the setup, I still have a binocular strap attached to the scope, just in case you want to blame the locking system for the reason that the binoculars fell to the ground (belt & braces!!) you can never be too careful.

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

Good plan ?. I've ordered the adaptor, with next day delivery, so will report back soon.

Kev

Well, that little adaptor works perfectly! Well happy :)

adaptor.thumb.jpg.8e67e9ea550ff974bf5ebf5b9d6e70c2.jpg

• Like 1