Narrowband

Baader Diamond SteelDrive

I've had one of the Baader Diamond SteelTrack focusers for a couple of years now and have been very satisfied with it. I always intended to purchase the SteelDrive for this, but couldn't afford it at the time I bought the focuser. Of course once funds became available the actual drive itself was mysteriously unavailable! The Baader website has hinted that this is being redesigned and would be available in due course.

Whilst at Astrofest yesterday I got an update from Thomas Baader himself who was with the David Hinds stand. 

So it looks like there were considerable issues with the previous hardware, necessitating the redesign....the good news is that the new drive mechanism should be available in about 2 months. 

Steve

I had one of the original steeldrive units with a Baader steel track. The mechanical parts are very good quality, I think the main problem was with the software. I had no end of issues until the software became eventually became usable. If you do a search you should be able to find the original posts.

16 hours ago, BlueAstra said:

I had one of the original steeldrive units with a Baader steel track. The mechanical parts are very good quality, I think the main problem was with the software. I had no end of issues until the software became eventually became usable. If you do a search you should be able to find the original posts.

Apparently the software has already been overhauled, or should I say the driver has. So there is a new ASCOM driver available. Not sure if you still have yours but it may be worth a punt..

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/blog/new-ascom-steeldrive-driver/

Steve

• 6 months later...
31 minutes ago, phallam said:

It still says "under preparation" on the Baader website - anyone know when the new version is due to be released?

I emailed Baader about this and they couldn't give me any more details. I've changed tact since then so don't want one now!

Screenshot_20180829-155106_Gmail.jpg

Archived