SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dawn Patrol

kerrylewis

Up again at 5.30 in the hope of some planetary action. Thin cloud but a nice moon, Jupiter and Mars. 

Jupiter was probably the best I’ve seen it this time around. Quite steady for longer periods than previously and good contrast on the belts. Upping the magnification to 150x with the Nagler zoom was just about on but no further. However the thin cloud was thickening. At first it was a reasonable filter but eventually the planet disappeared. So once again  I was thwarted before Mars rose above the roof tops. Ah well...

However, despite the thin cloud, as I looked up from the eyepiece at one point , I saw a bright meteor dropping to the south. I’m never sure about the definition of a fireball but this was very bright given the thin cloud and that the sky was beginning to lighten. Made up for missing  Mars 

I also got up early Kerry and it looked pretty nice out, however by the time I had a coffee and some cereal it had hazed over quite badly so I missed it all ? a great night though..... I certainly see the appeal of these scopes, wonderful star colours with the 21mm Ethos last night. 

7 hours ago, Pig said:

I also got up,early Kerry and it looked pretty nice out, however by the time I had a coffee and some cereal it had hazed over quite badly so I missed it all ? a great night though..... I certainly see the appeal of these scopes, wonderful star colours with the 21mm Ethos last night. 

Ah, the old coffee before observing ploy! Always fatal!!

5a7f19f2e5b6c_2018-02-1016_14_20.png.bee239389b2938280e759a470af726ed.png

Well no such problems this morning .... Saturn, Moon, Mars & Jupiter... the Moon was also bathed in earth-shine and this added to the spectacle..... not the best of seeing for the 3 planets but still very nice to see them again ?

Out again this morning. Jupiter by far the best I’ve seen it this year. Very steady seeing given its low altitude. The moons like sharp little discs and lots of detail on the planet. No transits or GRS unfortunately but good detail in the main equatorial belts with lots of ‘lumps and bumps’ and subtle detail elsewhere. Great hour or so.

Waited for Mars but  from my normal observing position it does not now clear the various obstructions before the sky gets too light. Need Plan B 

Yes Mike, it can be difficult. In fact I got up but part of me was secretly hoping that it was cloudy! But I could see out of the window that some stars  looked very steady and not so ‘twinkly’ as usual so I dragged myself out. 

My newly acquired 3-6mm Nagler zoom was a great way to quickly test how much magnification the planet would take. 4mm (x225) was quite achievable most of the time this morning, and 5mm (x180) very sharp. 

I have taken Friday off work on the strength of the forecast... hopefully it will be correct and I can have a late night and an early morning session, maybe have some solar ? I too can try out my new 3-6mm Zoom Kerry ?

Archived