SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting to know Constellations

Olli

I started with and still use a Phillips Planisphere. Then a Collins Stars and Planets. Latter has monthly whole sky constellation maps for each month and a map including some DSOS, double & variable stars. It made me a fan of Wil Tirion's sky cartography. 

That's it. Planisphere & Collins. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have just ordered sky and telescope pocket atlas from someone on this forum so hopefully that should help me. I’ve also seen on the internet that if you use a business card and cut a hole about a size of a 1 euro coin it can act as your “ finder scope” so you can use it to find around the atlas as I think it’s roughly the same size and put markings on the top .  Not sure if anyone has tried this seems like a good idea.

9 hours ago, Dinoco said:

use a business card and cut a hole about a size of a 1 euro coin it can act as your “ finder scope

Surely that depends on how far away from your eye you hold it?

14 minutes ago, Dinoco said:

This is from the video I didn’t really explain it that well

Ah, OK.........Then what you'd need to do I think is to find the Finderscope or EP with your telescope that gave you the same 5 degree view of the sky.

50 minutes ago, JOC said:

Ah, OK.........Then what you'd need to do I think is to find the Finderscope or EP with your telescope that gave you the same 5 degree view of the sky.

I think a 9x50 finder gives around 5 degrees of sky.

Obviously a Telrad gives 0.5, 2 and 4 degrees so you could work this out too and create a 4 degree ring perhaps, if using a Telrad of course.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I think a 9x50 finder gives around 5 degrees of sky.

Obviously a Telrad gives 0.5, 2 and 4 degrees so you could work this out too and create a 4 degree ring perhaps, if using a Telrad of course.

Archived