Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Kbramley

M101 - Pinwheel Galaxy

Left the scope running over night on his one when we had that cold snap, managed 42x10min luminance subs, added to some old 2x2 binned RGB data. This is a crop of the centre of the image to show off the galaxy detail a bit better. Pleased with this, although I might try a re-process when I’m not so tired. 

Atik 383L+ mono, 190MN, LRGB Baader filters

thanks for looking. 

785CA9AB-8F0C-407A-9CDB-1B3E3C78C809.jpeg

• Like 19

Looks great....tough one to get detailed as it presents in a soft fashion.  Well done.

Rodd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Amajed
      Hi, this is my first time using my new Esprit 100ED, my first time processing using Pixinsight, and it's my first image using a Mono + filters.

I loved them, can't wait to try on more targets.

here's the result:

Equipments:
      SkyWatcher Esprit 100ED
      SkyWatcher EQ6-R
      SkyWatcher EvoGuide 50ED Guidescope
      Imaging cam ZWO ASI1600MM Cool Pro
      ZWO EFW
      ZWO LRGB+NB 36mm filters
      Guiding cam ZWO ASI290MM Mini

Seeing was avarage
      Location was in a Green Zone

Exposures:
      Ha 11x1800sec
      L 39x300sec
      R 13x300sec
      G 15x300sec
      B 15x300sec
      Darks:
      24x300sec
      10x1800sec
      Bias:

Thanks
    • By DMouse
      Hi, here is last nights shot at M101. This is a luminance run only and was to test to see if the central Halo was still there, and it is, grrrr. I have a sneaky suspicion it is coming from the edge of the secondary mirror. I have pretty much painted everything else matt black, so far. Anyway, Here is the Luminance run.
      Subs: 10x 300sec, 5x 420sec
      Processed in Pixinsight. BIAS, DARKS and FLATS applied.
      Cheers
      Paul

• By Davide Simonetti
      After a couple of days of clear nights and the forecast looking good for another it seemed like a good idea to go to a place with darker skies than London and try a more challenging target. Alas, the run of good weather came to an end and upon arrival at Kelvedon Common in Essex the sky was murky with only Ursa Major bright and easily visible...so revisiting M101 made sense. The poor conditions meant that even with 6 minute exposures the galaxy was only just visible on the subs so I was pleasantly surprised at how the resulting image came out.
      004 x 180 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
      014 x 360 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
      074 x dark frames
      030 x flat frames
      100 x bias/offset frames
      Total integration time = 1 hour and 36 minutes
      Captured with APT
      Guided with PHD2
      Processed in Nebulosity, Fitsworks, and Photoshop 
      Equipment
      Telescope:     Sky-Watcher Explorer-150PDS
      Mount:         Skywatcher EQ5
      Guide Scope:     Orion 50mm Mini
      Guiding Camera:     ZWO ASI120MC
      Imaging Camera:  ZWO ASI1600MC Pro
      Baader Mark-III MPCC Coma Corrector
      Light pollution filter

• By glowingturnip
      Here's my homage to galaxy season:

13x600s lum plus 12x900s lum, 24x180s each of R, G and B and 12x180s Ha used for chrominance only. Taken over 2 nights on 21st and 22nd March.  Equipment as per sig, processed in Pixinsight
      (Cross-posted to the Galaxy competition forum).

Capturing was a little fraught.  On the first night things were fine, found a nice guide-star with the galaxy right in the middle of the frame and good guiding all night.  However, the second night, with the galaxy in almost exactly the same position and orientation, but I just could not find a guide-star in my OAG.  By the time I found one, the galaxy was way off centre, and I had to do some fancy footwork in processing to merge the two sets.  Thankfully, I don't think you can see the join...

I was amazed at the number of faint fuzzies in the background, so I made this collage taken from the uncropped image.  I don't think I got them all either, there are loads of very faint objects in the pic that don't quite look like star profiles:

This was my first attempt at this target. Which one do you prefer ?

The Pinwheel Galaxy (M101) is a face-on spiral galaxy 21 million light-years away from earth in the constellation Ursa Major.  M101 is a large galaxy, comparable in size to the Milky Way with a diameter of 170,000 light-years. It has a disk mass on the order of 100 billion solar masses, along with a small central bulge of about 3 billion solar masses.  M101 is noted for its high population of H II regions, the pinkish areas in this image, many of which are very large and bright. H II regions usually accompany the enormous clouds of high density molecular hydrogen gas contracting under their own gravitational force where stars form. H II regions are ionized by large numbers of extremely bright and hot young stars, those in M101 are capable of creating hot superbubbles.  M101 is asymmetrical due to the tidal forces from interactions with its companion galaxies. These gravitational interactions compress interstellar hydrogen gas, which then triggers strong star formation activity in M101's spiral arms.  It is in the M101 group of galaxies, distinct from our own Local Group, but also a member of the Virgo Supercluster of galaxies.  The Virgo Supercluster contains at least 100 galaxy groups including our own, and is one of about 10 million superclusters in the observable universe.

Comments and cc welcome, hope you enjoy !

Stuart

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.