Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette Nebula, HOO and sSHO, Nikon D5300a

Xiga

Hi guys

I've been staring at these for long enough now that i'm effectively going blind to them, so i think it's time to post them and see what you guys think as well. 

It's late, so i'll keep this brief! 

10 x 1200s Ha (2" Baader)

9 x 1200s OIII (2" Baader)

So not much exposure at all really, but it's all i'm going to get for a while. The Ha was shot low on the horizon, and with a big bright moon up, but at least i managed to get the OIII the following night (mostly) before the moon made it's re-appearance. 

The usual Bias, Flats, and aggressive dithering. 

Stacked in APP, and processed in PS. 

For the Bi-Colour version i used one of Carboni's actions to synthesize the green channel (with Ha in Red and OIII in Blue).

For the SHO version, i used 80% of Ha and 20% of OIII to synthesize an SII, then used tonemapping to bring out the colours. 

Normally i prefer the hubble palette, but i'm not sure about this one. I think i prefer the Bi-Colour one. Dunno. Let's see what i think in the morning!

C&C welcome, and thanks for looking :-)

Rosette Nebula Bi-Colour v2.jpg

Rosette Nebula HST v3.jpg

Thanks all! :icon_biggrin:

I do also prefer the first one myself. I think it has a bit more depth to it. It was also a lot easier to process, as getting the colours right in the 2nd one was a lot more difficult, and this probably comes through in the final image. I may play about with it a bit more over the weekend.

@scitmon yes I took this with the SW 80ED, and dedicated field flattener, so FL was 510mm. It's a great wee scope alright. The D5300 is great too. Has a brilliant sensor for such a low cost camera.

Thanks all. I definitely prefer the 1st one now myself. 

ps - This object has a special meaning for me, as, it was the No.1 object that i have always wanted to image, ever since i started into this hobby 2 and a bit years ago now. I think we all must know what our own personal No.1 object was, and how satisfying it was to finally bag it. :happy7:

2 minutes ago, Xiga said:

This object has a special meaning for me, as, it was the No.1 object that i have always wanted to image, ever since i started into this hobby 2 and a bit years ago now. I think we all must know what our own personal No.1 object was, and how satisfying it was to finally bag it. :happy7:

Congratulations on an excellent result in bagging your No. 1 target.

Archived