Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Start from park, HEQ5.

SAW

Had my HEQ5 Pro a while now and I also use it on the standard tripod and have to set up every time I use it. I use a Polemaster for polar alignment and then switch on the mount (also use the gps mouse) then I get the usual start from park question. I have my scope up and weights down but each night this might be slightly different so should I select start from park or not, what's the difference if I don't start from park ? Surely start from park is more for a pier mounted permanent set up so when you finish you park the scope and next time you start it WILL be in the same position as the park.

Why should it be slightly different each night? 

You should always put the mount in the "park" or Home position (i.e. counterweights straight down and scope looking at Polaris before you start so it knows where its starting point is and with the date and time can work out where things are in the sky.  Actually I don't know why the handset asks that question.   Doing it any other way would cause the mount to miss alignment stars and you will waste time hunting for them.  

I do the same whether I am using a permanent set up or whether I have taken the set up to an Astro camp.  Even when I have switched off each night I always start from park the following night at home or at camp.

Carole 

I do have a couple of marks so I know roughly where the home portion is but what's the actual difference from me selecting I'm not starting from the park position, where does the mount think my scope is pointing ?

If it's asking to start from park then you must have parked it before powering down last use, otherwise you will not get the prompt. Starting from park assumes the mount has not moved so uses the previous alignment data. Note: this will apply previous cone error and PAE corrections.

If the mount is moved between sessions then either don't bother parking (move scope to desired position manually by de-clutching), or, select "no" when prompted as you'll need to re-align anyway.

2 hours ago, SAW said:

Surely start from park is more for a pier mounted permanent set

Correct.

I have always put the mount into park once finished. I also mark the ra and dec with a magic marker so that if I release the clutches move the mount I can put it back in the same spot when finished.

I think as long as it is near enough it will not be a problem. Like others have mentioned it just helps with alignment.

You guys are worrying me now. I've had this mount for a few days now. Although I haven't been able to take it outside yet, I have been using it indoors to get used to the handset etc. and when finished I just switch the mount off. Obviously it's not and never has been aligned with Polaris yet. 
Are you suggesting once I have it polar aligned I should park the scope before powering down? (there is no home function) 
Note; I don't have a permanent pier. Tripod set up / strip down every time. so how would park benefit me?

Yes it's best to send it back to home position.  

I had a mount once (not an HEQ5) that was always missing alignment stars and targets, and I wasted hours trying to find stars and targets.  I was new at all this and I had not heard of park position at that stage and later when I did, wondered whether just switching off any old where was confusing the mount.  Ever since then I always send it back to Park.  That's under Utilities if you haven't found it yet.  

It's a good habit to get into.  

Carole 

57 minutes ago, spillage said:

I have always put the mount into park once finished. I also mark the ra and dec with a magic marker so that if I release the clutches move the mount I can put it back in the same spot when finished.

I think as long as it is near enough it will not be a problem. Like others have mentioned it just helps with alignment.

This is what I do, but I was wondering what difference it actually made selecting NOT start from park or if you wasn't quite back in the home position when you used the mount again.

It doesn’t really matter whether on a tripod or a pier, using the park option is a good idea in my opinion.

If you level your tripod and set you mount perfectly pointing up and weights pointing down using a spirit level to get them spot on, then mark the Dec and are axis with a marker, then turn on the mount, and set this position as your home or park position, then after each session park the scope and then switch off and dismantle.

The next session, set up tripod level and set the mount back up using the marks you made on the mount head, now it’s always a good idea if possible to put your tripod back in the same position too, but if not possible, then not too worry, now switch on and unpark, then you are ready to do your polar align, which in my case would be with a polemaster.

now if you had it on a Pier then once you unpark you can get straight imaging as it will still aligned... also if you can get your tripod back in exactly the same spot each night, then you may get away without polar aligning each time....as you can put marks on the mount and tripod head to get that the same each time... :)

The whole point of parking is so that you don't have to realign a permanently mounted mount, surely. That's why if you select yes to start from park, you only have to enter time and date and the mount assumes the previous alignment.

Unparking then carrying out an align resets the park position anyway?

3 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

The whole point of parking is so that you don't have to realign a permanently mounted mount, surely. 

That is my train of thought also. Doesn't make sense to me to park the scope then move the tripod/mount. 

Archived