Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

[Request for D5300 owners]

jjosefsen

Hi,

Request: Can someone with a Nikon D5300 upload a couple of RAW Dark frames, preferably of 120secs or longer duration, and if possible with the approximate ambient temperature when shot??

Reason:

I am considdering finding a used Nikon D5300 for astrophotography instead of my wifes D7100.

The consensus around the web is that the D7100 and it's Toshiba sensor has really bad dark current noise, particurlarly when doing longer subs.

This fits nicely with the results im getting after having cranked up the sub length, it is REALLY bad.

I would like to compare the darks of my D7100 to those of a D5300 as it is supposedly one of the best "entry level" DSLR's when it comes to sensitivity and low noise.

Thank you in advance.

7 minutes ago, knobby said:

I prefer the 5300, less noise and lighter on the mount.

I much prefer the 7100 in general use but for astro the 5300.

The flip out screen and WiFi are useful too.

Thank you.

I think this about settles it to be honest.

I have seen several tests now show that at 30 seconds or lower, the D7100 and D5300 perform comparably, but longer exposures the difference is quite significant.

Around 2x - 2.5x as much noise in the D7100 at 300seconds, same temperature.

Archived