Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

Marmot

Registax 6 Lunar Ghost Images

Hello,

I am new to Registax 6.  Tried stacking lunar eclipse photos (used JPG images, could not get right exposure with video).  Used stock settings and reduced points to only 40.  I keep getting ghost images after stacking.

What can I do to eliminate this?

Thank You,
Michal

Stack 001.jpg

did you use Pipp to sort and aline your frames first ? if you havnt got Pipp its free to download. charl.

• Like 1

You could also try Autostakkert (AS!3) for stacking as it's better than Registax.

Peter

Hello

In Registax 6 you can use in "Alignment Setup" the function "Align by centre of gravity"

You have a cross and click on it just one time. After click on button "Align".

Clear skies.

Luc

Edited by CATLUC

Hmmm.....still having issues.  Tried the alignment setup in Registax and tried Autostakkert (image attached). Neither worked.  I suspect it is the dim areas / lack of contrast in the lunar totality image that is causing problems.  I will need to investigate my settings further.

Proc Tota_g4_ap226.tif

I think you may be right when you say lack of contrast - most stackers need some definite "marks" to stack on.  When stacking full disc solar images (JPEG's from a DSLR camera) I use PIPP to centre and crop the images and then Registax 5 (not 6) to stack.  The trick for such low contrast, featureless images seems to be to use a single large align point and place it so there is a decent amount of border of the disc within the align box - Something like this:

Capture.JPG.ac826512fb94be5182047f363263e046.JPG

I can usually "persuade" it to stack with this technique.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello!
      I have been really inactive here, so apologies.
      Here are a few images of the Solar Eclipse, happened on 21 June 2020. It was annular, but partial from Mumbai region (around 60% covered). Maximum phase of the eclipse was at around 11:30 a.m. IST.
      This is actually onset of our 4-5 months of monsoon season, so getting decent skies was a tough part. Luckily got decent cleared patches here and there with occasional rains.
      I had to use whatever I had to make a comfortable view of the eclipse, thanks to the lockdown.
      I simply took a box, made a whole of the size of the eyepiece on one end, cut the opposite side and attached a paper. I had to do little bit here and there attachments for perfect angle. But was really happy with the results. 
      One of the best experience was when I was seeing the Sun while it was drizzling at the same time.
      Thanks!
      -Rhushikesh Deshpande.

• By c4llum83
      Thought people may like to see my recent custom design for my SkyWatcher Heritage 130p... 
      As a big Apollo misson geek, and not being a fan of the stock astronomer names wrap on the 130p, I decided to get creative. 
      I used a great moon wall sticker just £6 from Ikea (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kinnared-decoration-stickers-moon-00448463/) as well as some matt vinyl stickers from Redbubble, one for each Apollo mission patch. 
      Below is pics of the mod in progress and the end result - would love to hear what you think!

• By CowsonConcrete
      Hi,
      Here's a quick shot of last night's moon.
      I've broken the crayford on my SkyWatcher 130pds so had to hold the focuser tube to get it sharp. Not ideal but I'm pleased with the result. 
      Àny ideas how I can add more colour without affecting the detail?
      Thanks

• By Adaaam75
      Hi guys,
      So on Tuesday night I spent the evening imaging the moon with my Celestron 9.25 SCT and DSLR as shown below and am happy with the images I collated (I only took images as I did intend to take capture video but I got carried away and time was getting on).
      I have approx 350 jpeg (and the equivalent in raw) images and have used the Microsoft image composite editor to stitch the frames together without editing them first etc but I wonder if I'm going the images an injustice?
      I'm not ready to pay for editing software as I know there is a lot of very good free downloads out there and I'm asking for recommendations. Should I be processing the frames before/after stitching and what software would you recommend? Please offer any advice you have.
      I will post the resulting image once I'm happy with the outcome 😁
      Thanks in advance,

• By Pankaj
      Hi. Its been 12 days of lockdown here in New Delhi, India. Gave me some quality time to spend on my childhood hobby. After a long time, I pointed my 10" Dob towards the Moon. And surely it does not disappoint. Its always a pleasure observing its surface. Observing it through eyepiece was a hair raising experience as I moved from 25mm (48x) to 6mm with a 2x Barlow (400x). Later I connected my dslr to the scope and took some quick pictures attached below.
      Also took a video. Here's a link to my google drive. Please excuse me for the background noise that is there in the video.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XzKDibKV_krsYeOaQGgCwuPfFCxaJu55

MOON SURFACE - Ultra Close up.mp4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.