Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Finally i ordered a scope rather than ST80, and now i started to buy scopes, hope nearly end of this month i gonna order another scope too, not a refractor, a refractor sounds a big debating and doubts so i cancelled my plan on a refractor for later.

I ordered a Skywatcher 180mm F/15 Mak, i hope it will do a good job for what it will be used, only planetary and some lunar shots.

Now, i need to know what accessories i need to buy with this scope, does it need a collimator? what dew control items to go with it if necessary? i live in not so cold weather country, nowadays it is just average nice temp between 15 C up to 20 C at night, later after 2 months it will start to warm up until we reach summer when the temp can go high up to 38 C at night sometimes with high humidity and sometimes average humidity but still hot.

I was going to ask about which Tele Vue eyepieces to use with this scope for planets and the moon [maybe DSO too but i gonna buy another scopes for DSO imaging so maybe i can use those for DSO visual too], i don't want to say that i will view everything with this scope only so i don't want to end up with so many eyepieces, i definitely wait to test the EP that will come with the scope, but those aren't the best quality they include with scopes.

Also to add, i ordered from another site of another items and that including a TV 3X barlow, so this can be added for imaging[definitely and mainly] and visual if necessary.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated, i want to buy stuff by now slowly so i can enjoy it as long as i can.

• Like 2

Well done!

You definitely will not need the collimator.

You may wish to consider getting a Mak to SCT thread rear cell adaptor - this allows you to use the myriad of SCT accessories and fittings.

With a f15 system, almost any eyepiece should work well.

(At f15 I don't think you'll have much use for a x3 Barlow; a x2 or x2.5 would be more handy.)

45 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Well done!

You definitely will not need the collimator.

You may wish to consider getting a Mak to SCT thread rear cell adaptor - this allows you to use the myriad of SCT accessories and fittings.

With a f15 system, almost any eyepiece should work well.

(At f15 I don't think you'll have much use for a x3 Barlow; a x2 or x2.5 would be more handy.)

Thanks!

I will look at that Mak to SCT thread adapter, don't know how or when to use it, but it may be handy one day.

Eyepieces is a level itself or a story, and sure if i ask everywhere as always i will get so many answers or preferences, and sounds i am thinking about 2-3 eyepieces at most, but i will use try/test the one that come with the scope and then i can decide later based on that.

Barlow is for imaging rather than visual, and in the future i will add more barlows such as 2x or 2.5x, i even planning to add 5X too just for fun, imaging opened doors i don't see with visual, so i don't mind buy more if possible.

Many told me to buy a dew shield, there is one i was going to order with the scope from same link, "FLO", but one review hold me back, talked about the fitting for the desire size, so i thought maybe if fitting hi little issue it might also affect the quality of the dew shield, and so i was thinking maybe there is a better option, but one member in another forum linked me to exact same model or type of the shield but from the original site of maker, means it was the right choice.

30 minutes ago, Trikeflyer said:

Get some binoviewers for lunar viewing, they are amazing!

WOW, another member recommending binoviewers, sounds i should add that as top priority then.

11 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

If it's a brand new Mak 180, you shouldn't need an SCT adapter as they've been manufactured with an SCT threaded rear cell since the end of 2013.  See: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/skywatcher-skymax-150-and-180-pro-now-have-sct-threads.html

I got mine in 2014 and it has an SCT thread.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, r3i said:

If it's a brand new Mak 180, you shouldn't need an SCT adapter as they've been manufactured with an SCT threaded rear cell since the end of 2013.  See: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/skywatcher-skymax-150-and-180-pro-now-have-sct-threads.html

I too can confirm that the SW Mak 180  comes with an "SCT back", I bought one in June 2017. Lovely scope.

Cheers, Magnus

If dew occurs in your climate, you will need a dew shield for a Maksutov or SCT.  You have the choice of buying one, which will look smart, or making your own from camping mat or even cardboard if you don't care what it looks like. I used cardboard. :happy11:

1 hour ago, r3i said:

No it is not Brand NEW because i ordered it from "FLO" few days ago, so you guess :icon_biggrin:

36 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If dew occurs in your climate, you will need a dew shield for a Maksutov or SCT.  You have the choice of buying one, which will look smart, or making your own from camping mat or even cardboard if you don't care what it looks like. I used cardboard. :happy11:

I will buy it, it is not a big deal really, i just wasn't sure about it but not you helped me here, now i can go for it, i feel sad i didn't order it with the scope, but it is not a problem, i will get a budget again then i can order it.

We have dew in our climate, but not always, not every night, if it is having dew then actually that night is a waste anyway, i won't go imaging in dew humidity nights, i can always have clear nights free of dew, i am not like most here who are imaging even in bad nights because they don't have opportunities a lot, THANK GOD i am in this location where i can really have nights fine even with LP, and if it is all that bad with this scope then i have years to solve its issues, i don't expect to have mind blowing images or best visual out of it first night or first year, i need time to figure it out too ;-) 

3 hours ago, laowhoo said:

Congrats Tareq. Use these free programs for now

http://stellarium.org/

https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start

or this for your Mac or android

https://skysafariastronomy.com/

The first two I have already, in fact I am connecting my mount via EQMOD and using one of those two, still not connected to Mac or android yet, maybe one day, but I am happy using eqmod controller for my mount, and Stellarium is a must in my apps collection.

The scope is here finally since yesterday, time to relax and read/watch more so to use this scope sooner or later i hope.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Congratulations Tareq, good to hear it finally arrived! Enjoy the new telescope. 

Congratulations Tareq. :blob1: Looking forward to your first light report + photos. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much all!

Unfortunately it have to wait maybe until next month, my mount is damaged due to accidental power shock, my fault, and i don't know where to fix it, but someone on FB gave me a link to a motherboard replacement for this mount, so i think this is the only solution and cheaper, if i send it overseas it will cost me a lot, so i will put my hope on this replacement and if i get it then i hope i can replace it by myself rather than let someone else do it but he may do some mistakes.

Pity i was happy to test this scope, but now it is not possible, unless i can use the mount manually without goto or no power and i do it by myself manually, but then the planet or the moon won't be in the view for long not even for 1-2 minutes maybe, unless if it is possible then i can try this until i can fix the mount. 

In addition, new package arrived, most computer stuff, but there is one item that is related to astronomy, which is Tele Vue 3X Barlow, this will definitely be used in imaging.

Thanks again, wished if the mount didn't damage then i will post images already here, Jupiter is so bright [not sure if it is clear steady and no turbulence a well], and the moon can't be clearer, i saw many images of the moon and Jupiter with fair to good seeing conditions and results are nice, so with my better condition i should have better results then, it is all about processing once the seeing/sky condition is perfect and the scope/camera are good enough, will see sooner than later i hope.