SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

synscan coordinates

2 hours ago, dodgerroger said:

Hi folks can you confirm how I should input coordinates into  a synscan go to hand control? My gps gives me 

53 47’42”N   0 11’ 34” W

thanks in advance

I use an app called Ulysse Gizmos to calculate my location

Then just input deg, minutes, seconds

Current location 153⁰ 0´ 48.24″ E  27⁰ 28´ 39.7” S

John

Another vote for synscan init 2 running n a phone with gps enabled for a few minutes.  It will give you every value you need for the setup and all exactly as you need to input them.  I use it every time I use my synscan

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

If you have an android phone download a app called Synscaninit tells you everything you have to enter. 

Just had a look at Synscaninit on my android phone

Designed for Northern Hemisphere, using Polaris alignment, not for Southern Hemisphere which does not have a star adjacent to South Celestial Pole

7 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Just had a look at Synscaninit on my android phone

Designed for Northern Hemisphere, using Polaris alignment, not for Southern Hemisphere which does not have a star adjacent to South Celestial Pole

That is a shame great app perhaps message designer see if they can make a Southern one.

Agreed, def. a shame - I wonder how much effort it would take to do one for the Southern hemisphere.  Mind you surely many of the settings would work - the lats and longs, the date format, the time formats, the height above ground etc.  In fact I can't think of any settings that it gives which would be inappropriate unless the GPS info. full stop just doesn't work in the Southern hemisphere???   Anyhow it should work fine for the OP they reckon they are in Hull! :-D

15 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

If you have an android phone download a app called Synscaninit tells you everything you have to enter. 

Thanks for the link, up loading as I speak and will try it out next time I have a clear sky and the free time?  Might take a while for that to happen!

Peter

Last night received back an email from Marco, developer of Synscaninit

He was amazed that his App was been used in the Southern Hemisphere

He is interested in feed back on how to improve

Lets get behind and support him

Copy of his email

Happy to see that my small app is known in southern hemisphere.

Actually I just developped it for my own usage. As I am French I was focused on northern and did it just to save time in order to spend more time to observe than to align. Then I added the new reticle with octans stars positionning. I never put any foot in southern hemisphere but I thought that if that can help northern stargazers that could be cool. So my understanding  is that you are able to align your scope with these octans stars by turning first the polar reticle with proper angle and then by placing them into related circle. May be I am wrong. So let me known I may improve my app if necessary

Have a clear sky

Marco

John

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 20:52, cletrac1922 said:

Current location 153⁰ 0´ 48.24″ E  27⁰ 28´ 39.7” S

You do realize you are telling the whole Internet your exact location, and where your kit is kept? If you realized that and are happy with it, fine.

Archived