Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

FLO

NEW! Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50mm ED GuideScope

Thinking about it I've got an un-housed prism from my striped C70 but I'll wait for your update as that's great you've sorted a test.

3 hours ago, DRT said:

It is now :grin:

I’ve just bought a Meade prism diagonal from a member here so will report back on that later this week. 

My experiments with this scope continue in this thread...

Are there any images with this scope yet?  Thinking of getting one and using my old 1000d as an imaging setup when I’m t my static caravan

I am hoping to get some daytime images from it soon using an 1100d.

Quick question to those hwo have this for guiding.....is this a worthwhile upgrade over the 'standard' finder that comes fitted with scopes?

Am contemplating taking the plunge and getting one to replace my Orion 9x50 finder scope.

• Like 1

@FLO Hi guys - Any rough estimations as to when the next batch of Evoguides arrive? I know it is supposed to be 40-60 days but, new gadget excitement and all that 😁

I have been looking, but would be great if anyone can provide some feedback re the scopes guiding performance, set up etc - Pictures would be nice! especially if any of you fine folks have mounted it to a SW ED80!

Clear Skies

Kane

3 hours ago, AstroKane said:

@FLO Hi guys - Any rough estimations as to when the next batch of Evoguides arrive? I know it is supposed to be 40-60 days but, new gadget excitement and all that 😁

Unfortunately they too are on the shipment due to land August 😟

August is going to be a busy month! ☕☕☕☕

Is it a worthwhile replacement for bog standard finders? I guess it depends on what you want from it, but it is a lovely little bit of kit and very well made....it's not cheap, but then there are more expensive models out there! 

Only been playing for a bit, but it gives some very clear views and I stuck a ZWOasi120mm in the end two nights ago and, with very little fiddling took 300 frames as the moon travelled across the field of view.....and this came out....(after stacking obviously!:-) )

IMG_20180624_222215.thumb.jpg.c84e27742522e7bdc6cd290b4e85b7f0.jpg

Which seems pretty nice for just pointing it at the moon and pressing "capture" in sharp cap.

Not tried the DSLR in it yet, but may get around to that when I have more time.

I don't think I'll have any troubles with it for guiding.

• Like 2

It's a beautiful little wide field scope by the looks of it, but I remain to be convinced that scope optics are the limiting factor for guiding. My guiders use cheap achromat elements from Astromedia and its definitely the mount, not the guidescope that's the limiting factor.

• Like 2

Here's one of my better lunar images with this wee thing.  Not the most detail when you look close, but not bad for a minimalist set up I think. 

1899218633_2018-05-25T00_17_52_PIPP_lapl2_ap1808_P25_conv(3).thumb.jpg.b6df163b0a67ac483e3a307cfe4fa286.jpg

On the back of the Evoguide was a ZWO ASI178MC and a 2x (ish) barlow.  The 50% sharpened image out of AutoStakkert! 3 had minor adjustments for levels and white balance etc, nothing major.

On a normal APS-C camera the area that is sharp is perhaps comparable to the red sun on the Japanese flag.  The middle area seems to be sharp but a large portion of the image is not, no surprises there.

• Like 4

For those nights you just want to grab and go that is fantastic. Nice bit a versatility here, it is always a bonus when adding kit to your gear that it can be used for dual purposes.

Bring on August 🤤

how would you mount one of these if you wanted to use it as a quick grab scope to use with something like a star adventurer and dslr?

I've put mine in a standard Skywatcher finder shoe and using that to mount on the mount clamp on my Skywatcher tripods.

It perhaps isn't perfect but it clamps quite solid and I'll also be using the DSLR on it.

20180629_002343-1.thumb.jpg.59c4f71f0567d26976d7348e92607e2e.jpg

I've also got an eqclamp I use with it as I haven't got round to tapping a 3/8" thread on the base leg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Smooth and very fine.

I second that - it's a very well made focuser at this price.

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I've put mine in a standard Skywatcher finder shoe and using that to mount on the mount clamp on my Skywatcher tripods.

It perhaps isn't perfect but it clamps quite solid and I'll also be using the DSLR on it.

20180629_002343-1.thumb.jpg.59c4f71f0567d26976d7348e92607e2e.jpg

I've also got an eqclamp I use with it as I haven't got round to tapping a 3/8" thread on the base leg.

That is a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing 😉 

I'm actually not a fan of the focuser at all, it (my one at least) has loads of hysteresis to it, I have to go back and fourth several times before I get what I think is focus.

Hi All,

Having recently acquired a Skywatcher ED80 I am looking for a finder scope.

I am wondering if it's worth getting this in due course first. It would serve as a finder / Guidescope if / when I go down the route of guiding.

Would save having to buy another dovetail for on top of the scope and would save having to buy a finder now then replace it in future?

Not sure if being daft but thought it might be an option.

Clear Skies,

Murray

8 hours ago, DRT said:

That is a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing 😉 

Thank you, though I should point out that the chamfered edge of the finder shoe is a different angle to the edge of the tripod mount. So whilst the clamp does tighten on the finder shoe the area of touch is slim across the shoe and tripod bracket.

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Hi All,

Having recently acquired a Skywatcher ED80 I am looking for a finder scope.

I am wondering if it's worth getting this in due course first. It would serve as a finder / Guidescope if / when I go down the route of guiding.

Would save having to buy another dovetail for on top of the scope and would save having to buy a finder now then replace it in future?

Not sure if being daft but thought it might be an option.

Clear Skies,

Murray

It sounds like a sensible option to me.