SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW! Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50mm ED GuideScope

FLO

3 hours ago, DRT said:

It is now :grin:

I’ve just bought a Meade prism diagonal from a member here so will report back on that later this week. 

My experiments with this scope continue in this thread...

• 1 month later...

Quick question to those hwo have this for guiding.....is this a worthwhile upgrade over the 'standard' finder that comes fitted with scopes?

Am contemplating taking the plunge and getting one to replace my Orion 9x50 finder scope.

• Like 1

@FLO Hi guys - Any rough estimations as to when the next batch of Evoguides arrive? I know it is supposed to be 40-60 days but, new gadget excitement and all that ?

I have been looking, but would be great if anyone can provide some feedback re the scopes guiding performance, set up etc - Pictures would be nice! especially if any of you fine folks have mounted it to a SW ED80!

Clear Skies

Kane

3 hours ago, AstroKane said:

@FLO Hi guys - Any rough estimations as to when the next batch of Evoguides arrive? I know it is supposed to be 40-60 days but, new gadget excitement and all that ?

Unfortunately they too are on the shipment due to land August ?

August is going to be a busy month! 

Is it a worthwhile replacement for bog standard finders? I guess it depends on what you want from it, but it is a lovely little bit of kit and very well made....it's not cheap, but then there are more expensive models out there! 

Only been playing for a bit, but it gives some very clear views and I stuck a ZWOasi120mm in the end two nights ago and, with very little fiddling took 300 frames as the moon travelled across the field of view.....and this came out....(after stacking obviously!:-) )

IMG_20180624_222215.thumb.jpg.c84e27742522e7bdc6cd290b4e85b7f0.jpg

Which seems pretty nice for just pointing it at the moon and pressing "capture" in sharp cap.

Not tried the DSLR in it yet, but may get around to that when I have more time.

I don't think I'll have any troubles with it for guiding.

• Like 3

It's a beautiful little wide field scope by the looks of it, but I remain to be convinced that scope optics are the limiting factor for guiding. My guiders use cheap achromat elements from Astromedia and its definitely the mount, not the guidescope that's the limiting factor.

• Like 2

Here's one of my better lunar images with this wee thing.  Not the most detail when you look close, but not bad for a minimalist set up I think. 

1899218633_2018-05-25T00_17_52_PIPP_lapl2_ap1808_P25_conv(3).thumb.jpg.b6df163b0a67ac483e3a307cfe4fa286.jpg

On the back of the Evoguide was a ZWO ASI178MC and a 2x (ish) barlow.  The 50% sharpened image out of AutoStakkert! 3 had minor adjustments for levels and white balance etc, nothing major.

On a normal APS-C camera the area that is sharp is perhaps comparable to the red sun on the Japanese flag.  The middle area seems to be sharp but a large portion of the image is not, no surprises there.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I've put mine in a standard Skywatcher finder shoe and using that to mount on the mount clamp on my Skywatcher tripods.

It perhaps isn't perfect but it clamps quite solid and I'll also be using the DSLR on it.

20180629_002343-1.thumb.jpg.59c4f71f0567d26976d7348e92607e2e.jpg

I've also got an eqclamp I use with it as I haven't got round to tapping a 3/8" thread on the base leg.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I've put mine in a standard Skywatcher finder shoe and using that to mount on the mount clamp on my Skywatcher tripods.

It perhaps isn't perfect but it clamps quite solid and I'll also be using the DSLR on it.

20180629_002343-1.thumb.jpg.59c4f71f0567d26976d7348e92607e2e.jpg

I've also got an eqclamp I use with it as I haven't got round to tapping a 3/8" thread on the base leg.

That is a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing ? 

Hi All,

Having recently acquired a Skywatcher ED80 I am looking for a finder scope.

I am wondering if it's worth getting this in due course first. It would serve as a finder / Guidescope if / when I go down the route of guiding.

Would save having to buy another dovetail for on top of the scope and would save having to buy a finder now then replace it in future?

Not sure if being daft but thought it might be an option.

Clear Skies,

Murray

8 hours ago, DRT said:

That is a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing ? 

Thank you, though I should point out that the chamfered edge of the finder shoe is a different angle to the edge of the tripod mount. So whilst the clamp does tighten on the finder shoe the area of touch is slim across the shoe and tripod bracket.

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Hi All,

I am wondering if it's worth getting this in due course first. It would serve as a finder / Guidescope if / when I go down the route of guiding.

Would save having to buy another dovetail for on top of the scope and would save having to buy a finder now then replace it in future?

Clear Skies,

Murray

It sounds like a sensible option to me.

29 minutes ago, Panda Alvin said:

Does anyone have the dimension of the rings / holder at its maximum ?
Just wanted to see what is the smallest bag or case it could fit into.

You would need a space 23cm x 14cm x 10cm to fit the OTA and holder bracket/rings fully assembled excluding the extension tube and any other accessories.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/07/2018 at 07:44, Muzz said:

Hi All,

Clear Skies,

Murray

Yep... Initially, you have to twist and turn it a lot to get in focus as it moves in a very small steps.

but once done... Lock the focus and forget for ages...

I did focus on the distant tree during a daytime initially and later fine focused at night, - do not remember how long time ago... Back in February probably...

• 2 weeks later...