Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette-bicolor (Ha OIII)

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Geof.  I like LRGB too, but my skies don't support it very well.  I find LRGB much more difficult to process due to LP gradients.  Narrow band is so much easier for me--almost need no calibration, where as LRGB needs very good calibration.  I like the structure detail of narrow band (Ha mostly), though I like the natural color palette of LRGB.  I am starting to get the hang of LRGB and mostly shoot narrowband when the Moon is past 50% 

I know what you mean about processing LRGB, I don't have so much issue with gradients since I moved to Norfolf 2 years ago, which gives me 20+ SQM skies when moonles, but I find that the seeing is still very variable, so I have issue controlling star sizes across the different filters. I love the star sizes that produced by NB.

I'm also currently working this target, shooting Ha with a 95% Supermoon a couple of weeks ago (previously posted as a test of how close can you go), then nothing since until last night due to constant cloud cover at night. Last night was meant to be clear here from dusk 'till morning, but it didn't really clear out until about 11pm by which time the target was already well past the meridian and getting lower by the minute. Still, I managed 6x600 each R&G, but it was then down to ~25 degrees, so no point trying B or L (G also may be doubtful). I switched to capturing 9x600 L on the Bodes pair M81/M82, then packed up about 3:30am. I'm hoping that the forecast for Friday night holds good, so that I can collect the B and L on Rosette and maybe some more LRGB on Bodes.

Cheers, Geof

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I know what you mean about processing LRGB, I don't have so much issue with gradients since I moved to Norfolf 2 years ago, which gives me 20+ SQM skies when moonles, but I find that the seeing is still very variable, so I have issue controlling star sizes across the different filters. I love the star sizes that produced by NB.

I'm also currently working this target, shooting Ha with a 95% Supermoon a couple of weeks ago (previously posted as a test of how close can you go), then nothing since until last night due to constant cloud cover at night. Last night was meant to be clear here from dusk 'till morning, but it didn't really clear out until about 11pm by which time the target was already well past the meridian and getting lower by the minute. Still, I managed 6x600 each R&G, but it was then down to ~25 degrees, so no point trying B or L (G also may be doubtful). I switched to capturing 9x600 L on the Bodes pair M81/M82, then packed up about 3:30am. I'm hoping that the forecast for Friday night holds good, so that I can collect the B and L on Rosette and maybe some more LRGB on Bodes.

Cheers, Geof

There's nothing more infuriating than a forecast of clear skies on all networks and clouds overhead....at night....not during the day!  Good luck Friday.

Rodd

29 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

Thats a gorgeous image. Stunning detail and colour

Sumptuous! 

Thanks Tim.  Going for the SII tonight (hopefully).  Not sure it will improve it or not.

Rodd

21 minutes ago, Shibby said:

Fantastic image! I think you've got the balance between the channels spot on, revealing plenty of structure and colour variation.

Thanks Lewis.  Well see if the SII helps or hinders.

Rodd

Well--I was able to collect SII last night--but only 5 30 min subs.  I processed the image in the SHO palette, but did not really like the result--a bit gaudy.  The red channel dominated with noise due to the reduced # of subs. However, a 50-50 blend with the bicolor seems to work.  

Blend-3.thumb.jpg.77b2abd63e5920b94ed0f9a0bc212196.jpg

Well I finally came up with an HaSHO palette version I like.  This is a straight SHO image with Ha added as a luminance.  Kinda of strange, but this image looks like a bicolor image to me.  Anyway--that's it for The rosette.  If I can I wikll grab a few more SII subs to see if that balances things out a bit.--2 versions--1 with dimmed stars.  Not sure which I like better.

HaSHO-2c2a.thumb.jpg.6d8a9aeb281b3d72a0a50c1fedcb51d0.jpg

Final.thumb.jpg.475a4ba064b31f6e6e1701f7cb33f0f9.jpg

Archived