Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 102 SLT eyepieces and accessories

Hi

Awaiting deleivery of my second hand refractor and hoping to have some good experiences with it. Goto 102 slt refractor. I tried doing my research and went for this because cheap 2nd hand but not too shabby. It has two eye pieces 25mm and a 9mm. f6.5. 

I’ve read the diagonal isn’t all that good but I’ll make do for now.

Ill be using to tour the skies. The eye pieces, from what I’ve read, are not great but probably best to make do for now. To give me some more magnification on the 9mm for planet viewing I’m looking st buying a Barlow X2. I’ve looked at many reviews, discussions about Barlows but seems a lot of the models suggested aren’t made anymore or I can’t find them. I’ve set a budget of around £50. Any suggestions?

Hello Steve, I have the SLT 102mm also and it is a fun scope/ mount to use. The eyepieces and diagonal are adequate to get you started viewing. To upgrade later, Vixen Plossl are nice eyepieces and not overly expensive either. 

The telescope being f/6.5 a 6mm is what I would recommend for the shortest focal length as this will be about the most magnification you can use unless the skies are excellent. 

Use a barlow on longer focal length eyepieces to go below 6mm on the nights that the skies will support it. 

If you look for a GSO barlow they are fairly good and give you the option to unscrew the lens and attach it directly to an eyepiece for a gain of 1.5x

Enjoy the new telescope :)

Archived