Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I have a Celestron 8" with CG-5 Mount that I purchase about 14 years go. I have not really used it much since due to family and work pressures but as I am close to retirement I am re kindling my interest in Astronomy. Over the years I have lost the polar scope an have been attempting to purchase a new one. My local astronomy shop had what looks to be the correct one in stock bit it would not fit. I Tried both the CG4 and CG5 polar scopes but the tube is too wide. The polar scope for my old mount must be thinner than the later ones. I have contacted Celestron but they can't help. Does anyone know what the problem is or where I might obtain one for the older mount. If not are there any other methods for performing polar alignment without using the polar scope. I have heard of some software that does this but only with GT mounts. I would eventually like to do some astrophotography but it appears that polar alignment is critical for good results.
I've previously posted a bicolour version of IC 410 but the other night I managed to captured some SII data so what follows is a Ha / OIII / SII narrowband rendition of the Tadpoles.
Usual set-up for this kind of thing (CG-5 mount, Atik 460ex, Atik OAG / IMGOH / PHD), but the Ha was captured with both my TS90APO and FSQ-85.
Ha 25 x 600s
OIII 23 x 600s
SII 29 x 600s
The different fields of view from the twio scopes were reconclied in RegiStar, stacked in DSS and processed in AstroArt 5 and PhotoPlus X4.
The first of these is what dropped out of the processing, the socond has had the stars tamed by blending in a layer that has had teh AA erosion routine applied. Then followed endless tinkering to try to get the result to look okay on SGL! I've no idea why but images that look fine on my desk top take on a green or magenta hue when posted on here. Maybe part of thr problem is that I don't really like to leave the sky really black as I don't think it looks natural... but on this one I've gone pretty dark!
Hope you like it! I feel like I've got some good data here; in fact I think that this is the first time I've had decent data for all three channels. It probably has more to give but I am pleased with this .
Thanks for looking.
Higher quality version of the above here.
Higher quality version of the above here.
I had an unexpectedly clear night last night - the best for ages... I managed to get some SII subs for IC 410 but when that disappeared below my horizon I pointed the scope at M105 to see what I could get. Now the focal length of the scope I was using (Tak FSQ-85) is less than ideal and I had the narrowband filters loaded up, so this was just a bit of fun. 30 x 300s subs, L only. The pull out is obviously a crop from the main image.
I've reprocessed the data of IC410 that I captured earlier in the year.
This is 24 x 600s Ha and 22 x 600s OIII - the OIII was captured using my FSQ-85 and the Ha combination of the Baby-Q and my TS90APO. I had somehow manged to combine the data using DSS earlier but couldn't get it to work reliably and so I ended up buying RegiStar to get the different field of views to combine properly.
Scopes: FSQ-85 and TS90APOc
Camera: Atik 460ex mono with Baader 2" filters
Guiding: Atik OAG, IMG0H, PHD
Registered in RegiStar, stacked in DSS, and processed in PhotoPLus X4.
I've had trouble getting the colour balance right as there is a fair of mount of nebulosity in the background; I'd be really interested in comments as to which of the following looks best.
Thanks for looking!
I was very excited to get a couple of hours of clearish skies last night to get first light with my Takahashi FSQ-85.
It turned out to be something of a comedy session, however.
Firstly, being a cheapskate I hadn't bought the Takahashi clamshell and opted instead for some 95mm tube rings. Trouble was, mounted to a fairly short dovetail I wasn't able to balance the scope properly; it's no biggy but I need a longer dovetail and to raise the rings slightly so that the dovetail clears the focuser...
Secondly, my dew strip packed up for some reason. Not sure what's wrong with it or if it can be salvaged, but the wires feeding the strip were getting plenty warm, but the strip itself wasn't. It's barely been used so not sure what to make of it... Anyway, it meant the optics had slight misting for the latter subs. I am hoping that this explains the halo around 19 Auriga in the top left.
The final thing was pure stupidity though. I somehow managed to turn off the TEC on my CCD camera so the subs were at ambient temperature and therefore very noisy (in comparison). Combined with high whispy cloud this can't be seen as any kind of test for the new scope. In any case, I expect it to come in to its own dealing with blues... so we'll see.
Anyhow 10 x 600 sec subs Baader Ha filter.
Mount: CG-5; Scope: Takahashi FSQ-85; Imaging cam: Atik 460ex; Guiding: PHD & IMG0H.