SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stiff RA axis......how to loosen?

Luna-tic

I picked up an older CG-5 mount and tripod the other day for $50. It's in good shape, just a bit dirty. The Dec axis moves freely with the clutch loosened, and drives very smoothly with the clutch tight. The RA axis drives very smoothly with the clutch tightened (bear in mind this is a totally manual mount), but is stiff to move with the clutch loosened, and has a couple of spots where it is very slightly "notchy" when it is turned. How can I loosen this up, to make hand-skewing to a target easier? It has no polar scope, no big deal, and has provisions to add tracking motors, but I doubt I'll do that. I bought it to have a simple, grab-and-go mount to throw the frac or C6 on to look at the moon, etc. It's usable as-is, it tracks nicely with the worm drive, but I'd like to get it back to its "former nights of glory" condition.

I think it may be as simple as re-greasing the bearings, but I'm not sure what I need to do to take it apart. There is a collar that has two small holes for a tool like a circlip plier, located underneath the RA setting circle ring (at the bottom, where you'd insert a polar scope), looks like that has to come out to break the RA bearings apart.

Archived