SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2018

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well were on site,it has been cloudy,but am reliably informed that it is clearing from the south, the field is in tiptop condition,and there  are 15 or so caravans all in for the book week and they are taking an interest in our scope setups,will post later.

Mike

Spoken to Jim and Mike, they have clear patches and are checking out Mars on Jim's new scope . Can't wait to get down, clear or not, the craic is brilliant. Hoping for clear skies obviously, but if not catching up with the guys n gals will be great. It is surely the friendliest Star Camp the UK has on offer. How many times do you get an up to the minute update from the folks already there. Keep up the great work Mike.

David

Hi. David 

The Premier crew are here......

Mike, Jim, .Dawn and yours truly....

The wind is blowing s wee bit but nothing to worry about.

We were viewing Mars about 40 minutes back and some of the stars of Herucules were now you see now you don’t .

Weather reasonable still in shorts and evaluating a glass or two of Highland Park 12 year old may keep some for you 

There are no midges here as Dawn’s new dog Abbey has eaten them all

As per usual I am on pitch 19

Tent erection crew on standby

Kenny coming later in the week so safe to

play Pool before then!

i better go and see what is happening 

cheers

Adrian

The 23:00 update 

well there is moisture in the air......

fully clouded over for now expect one star visible high in the southwest 

as I was up at 05:15 am this morning and travelled 420 miles caused by unfriendly road closures I am feeling tired and turning in for the night 

All the best

Adrian

11 hours ago, ASTROSTUART said:

Watching the reports now daily, Adrian is da man!   All going well I’ll be down Wed-Sat . Looking forward to some banter and good seeing. Just need to decide one scope or two..

You'll be there, rain hail or shine, Oz has 2 cracking rums I have a nice Vanilla Malt. Old Tony is a guest who is attending Galloway for the 1st time, he is a member of Dundee ASTRONOMICAL society. We will look after him, and show him the ropes. He enjoys a dram but his health is not so good. This is why we have the FRIENDLY star camp - clear skies folks

David

Hi Folks.....

The Sunday 08:30am Report.

The Premier crew are up and moving about.

The grass is really beautiful and green. Well Done to Lesley and Ralph.

Back to the Scottish Summer Weather...... it is overcast with about 5% clear blue skies.

The clouds are down on the tops of the hills on the other side of Wigton Bay. Slight breeze to blow the cobwebs away.

The BBC Weather for Bladnoch is rain until 11:00am and dropping % after that....sunny afternoon,  (reminds me of the Kinks) and partial clear skies tonight.

The BBC predicting clear skies from 23:00 hours onwards.

Waiting for Lesley to let me know what time we are taking Bud for a walk in the woods.

Just finishing breakfast and looking forward to the Sunday Roast at the Harbour Inn in Garlieston.

O for the wonders of the Galloway Autumn Star Party, Scotland's Finest.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Folks....

Its Sunday Lunch Time report.....

We had bright sunshine at 12:15 and looking great, the hills opposite were crystal clear but dark storm clouds in the northwest, within the space of 15 minutes everything changed, we have just had a nice heavy shower, but it is not looking as menacing has five minutes ago.

Life is really wonderfully here, went with Lesley and Bud the dog for a short walk this morning.

Been to Newton Stewart for food supplies. It was raining there and could not see the hills from the Wigton road.

Listening to the Ryder Cup, must see if I can get it on Sky TV.

All the best.

Adrian

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:14, Uplooker said:

Were you camping in the transit van last year?

On a side note, I got me a new tent today?. Think the old one would have lasted for this SP but didn’t want to risk it.

still haven’t decided which whiskey to bring.

Surely you meant  "plural", whiskey ? Naaa whiskies,,,, better !

Tight git !!!

????????

16 hours ago, wackyscot said:

You'll be there, rain hail or shine, Oz has 2 cracking rums I have a nice Vanilla Malt. Old Tony is a guest who is attending Galloway for the 1st time, he is a member of Dundee ASTRONOMICAL society. We will look after him, and show him the ropes. He enjoys a dram but his health is not so good. This is why we have the FRIENDLY star camp - clear skies folks

David

Oi!!! Less of the old, sir!  I'm only 72!

Looking forward the the show, just bringing a small 66mm refractor and DSLR on skywatcher star adventurer >  Hoping to get some images for the annual Dundee Astro calendar, it's been a bad year so far for images from members.  I would like to bring a 4.5" refractor and an Alt-Az/EQ5 head and tripod with it's batteries but not sure my lift would be able to take them (they are ready to go if there is room by the way ?)

Thanks for the lift by the way (I assume you are reading this) it is most appreciated.

On 19/09/2018 at 22:14, Uplooker said:

Were you camping in the transit van last year?

On a side note, I got me a new tent today?. Think the old one would have lasted for this SP but didn’t want to risk it.

still haven’t decided which whiskey to bring.

I got a spanking brand new tent after the disaster at Abernethy in anticipation of a few more booze ups star parties.  Got told last week forget the tent you're sharing!

Good!  With luck it'll be up before I get there.

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

Surely you meant  "plural", whiskey ? Naaa whiskies,,,, better !

Tight git !!!

????????

If it comes to a choice between whiskey and telescope,  I'll go with the whiskey  telescope.  On second thoughts maybe both!

28 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

Oi!!! Less of the old, sir!  I'm only 72!

Looking forward the the show, just bringing a small 66mm refractor and DSLR on skywatcher star adventurer >  Hoping to get some images for the annual Dundee Astro calendar, it's been a bad year so far for images from members.  I would like to bring a 4.5" refractor and an Alt-Az/EQ5 head and tripod with it's batteries but not sure my lift would be able to take them (they are ready to go if there is room by the way ?)

Thanks for the lift by the way (I assume you are reading this) it is most appreciated.

Dave Is pushing 70 to. He is just ageist ?

Archived