Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

On 08/10/2018 at 13:31, cotterless45 said:

Brilliant . Next time anyone in the Dunroamin area , you must check out the petrol station in Whithorn. It's Classic Father Ted. This guy was outside the red shed at Garlieston every day .IMG_6380.thumb.JPG.81cdf66f000fa2c8137366db7c4db5ff.JPGIMG_6381.thumb.JPG.88ea71c785e1e2511b85aee98e238b22.JPG

Is it Pethoyleum Spirit?

• Haha 2

wee time lapse of the camp, first attempt at this so a bit long and forgot to add the sound. could have done with zooming in a bit as well. frames set at 1sec capture,

• Like 5

Most Autumns I go to Kelling Heath for the big star camp there.  But this year the booking system screwed up many people including myself - it opened the morning of the first day of the event, and because I didn't get there until late afternoon (from Hexham, Northumberland) I missed out.  It was a Thursday, and those who only come for a long weekend got there before me.  I always book for a week, not worth it for a few days - too far to travel.  Got an offer to share a pitch next year, but may move my allegiance to Galloway.  Half the distance for me and darker skies (when it's clear!)  I visited Drumroamin to have a look at the site when in the area last year, looks good.  I'll be in a motor caravan, so need to know if the 20 electric hookups are generally all taken or is there room for a newcomer?

Cheers,

Peter.

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 1

Hi Peter,

Good to hear you may attend the Galloway SP. The skies are good and dark. You should not have any issues in getting an electric pitch, that said, the 2019 Autumn SP will be the 10th anniversary of the SP so may fill up quicker! I am sure we will be able squeeze you in.

@Demon Barber (Mike) will post the dates / start a new thread sometime soon. Best to contact Leslie direct at the campsite when booking.

Look forward to meeting you.

Thanks for your quick reply Ian, the pitch situation is good news.   I may not be going to either Galloway or Kelling because I'm expecting to have a hip replacement some time next year, so much depends on when I'm back up to speed.  I should know dates by Christmas.  But if I'm ok, and Galloway doesn't clash with Kelling, who knows - I may go to both 🤩

Cheers,

Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Glad to see that you are thinking about the Galloway Star Party.... if the hip operation is delayed, there is a Spring Star Party at Drumroamin, it is usually held in February / March time, so that may be of interest to you. As Ian says the Autumn one is the 10th year of stargazing there, so we are expecting it to be a great event with loads of people attending.

The Saturday evening of the party just gone was absolutely fantastic with crystal clear sky and a Milky Way to die for. On the wet evenings we have a whiskey tasting sessions which are great fun.

The Star Parties there are very friendly, a great laugh, Pie eating and of course there is a Pool Table as well.

I travel 800 mile round trip to attend...... enough said....

Hope to meet up with you there.

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 2

Hi Peter,i`ve been  a keen admirer of your photo`s and always look forward to the latest offering, there will be no problem in booking an electric pitch,there have been additions and upgrades last year.

I`m very obliged to my keen assistants in a quick reply , and i`m sure weather permitting you will be well  satisfied with both the location and facilities on offer, i look forward to catching up with you,

Regards

Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Peter,i`ve been  a keen admirer of your photo`s and always look forward to the latest offering, there will be no problem in booking an electric pitch,there have been additions and upgrades last year.

I`m very obliged to my keen assistants in a quick reply , and i`m sure weather permitting you will be well  satisfied with both the location and facilities on offer, i look forward to catching up with you,

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike and everyone.  Good to know that if things turn out ok I'll be able to join you. Without a pub on site, I guess I'll have to stock up on canny cannies  😉

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

You are correct, there is no pub on site, we take a volume of whiskey and cans of various liquids.... of course there is the Harbour Inn in Garliston which is great for drink and Sunday Carvery. The food prices are reasonable specially the Sunday lunch. A number of us descend there for a good meal and the locals are very friendly and they make you very welcome. Of course, the drink-drive laws in Scotland are tougher than England.....

http://www.the-harbour-inn.co.uk

Food shopping can be done in the Co-Op in Wigtown or a Sainsburys and Aldi or Lidl in Newton Stewart, the local butcher there is excellent, two outdoor shops as well plus two or three cafes and a cinema.  Forget Chinese takeaway.....

So, given the campsite is in the back of beyond, civilisation is only a drive away!

Hope to meet up.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian,  I know the Harbour Inn.  In September 2016 my wife and I stayed at the Garlieston Caravan and Motorhome Club site for a few days and had a good look around the area, which was when we sussed out Drumroamin Farm.  The pub was very popular - we had to wait a while to eat!  Lots of interesting places in the area, a trip to the Mull of Galloway was a good day out and we spent a long time at Logan House Gardens.  And of course if the weather is rubbish, plenty of books in Wigtown 😉

Cheers,

Peter

Harbour Inn.jpg

Edited by petevasey
  • Like 1

Hi Peter

Glad to hear that you know the area.  I always book my meals at the Harbour Inn, Sundays is one of their busy days and early evenings booking is essential.

All the best.

Adrian