Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2018

Hi folks,great to hear the event's in full flow.Im hoping to arrive before sunset on Wednesday and get setup before darkness falls.

Caroline,my partner will be joining us also for her  first GSP on Thursday so Dawn,you will have some female company to natter with?.

Adrian the cue will be staying at home this year so to give others some hope?

Look forward to seeing you all soon and enjoy your week.

Kenny

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks,

The Sunday Evening Report...

It is 20:00 and it is only 6C outside with a stiff breeze blowing and it feels freezing!    (the wind has dropped down from this afternoon)

I am still in my shorts but will be  changing into some warmer clothes in a few minutes.

The sky at present is all clear, with some clouds low down on the horizon but a perfect sky for viewing. 

It should be striking by 22:00.

I have been down to the Harbour Inn in Garliston for the Sunday roast and rhubarb crumble with ice cream plus a pint of Guinness for £17.20.  

Down South I pay £23.00 for the same on a Sunday.

Jamie is doing polar alignment with his polemaster at present, no stars visible yet.

Trust we get these clear skies every night.

To all those travelling have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

2 hours ago, kenny k said:

Hi folks,great to hear the event's in full flow.Im hoping to arrive before sunset on Wednesday and get setup before darkness falls.

Caroline,my partner will be joining us also for her  first GSP on Thursday so Dawn,you will have some female company to natter with?.

Adrian the cue will be staying at home this year so to give others some hope?

Look forward to seeing you all soon and enjoy your week.

Kenny

My wife is coming with me my son and granddaughter so there will be some other female company.

Hi Paul 

You and the family will enjoy the Star Party 

There are plenty of trips in the area which make a good day out.

If you are interested in birds then we can go to the hide in Wigtown Bay

Anyway have a safe trip here

If you require directions for the last bit of the trip just let us know 

Cheers 

Adrian

8 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Paul 

You and the family will enjoy the Star Party 

There are plenty of trips in the area which make a good day out.

If you are interested in birds then we can go to the hide in Wigtown Bay

Anyway have a safe trip here

If you require directions for the last bit of the trip just let us know 

Cheers 

Adrian

Hi Adrian,  

This is the first time I have been so I am using the postcode hope that brings me there or there abouts.

I have just bought new pair of binoculars but I am not very mobile I have severe arthritis in my spine I'm due for injections on Thursday the 11th, that is the reason my son is coming with us to set the tent up.

Thank you for the warm welcome and invite I will have to see how far it is to walk as I use a cane.

Paul

Hi Paul,

The hide at Wigton Bay is a drive from Drumroamin campsite, we park the car and walk about 100 yards along the side of the river. It is a well set out hide with glass windows and a lot of seating. Only we need to establish the tides as the path can get flooded in very high tides.

I will put the final bit of travel onto the thread tomorrow.

There should be people here to help with the erection of your tent.

There is a good facilities room which we use on the wet, windy etc nights for Whiskey Tasting sessions.......

Over the years we are now quite expert in this sporting event!

All the Best

Adrian

Hi Folks,

This is the Last Report for this Sunday....

We have had clear skies for the last 4 to 5 hours, the wind is now 0 mph.

The Moon has come up over the hill opposite and appeared to be rolling along the hill at one stage.

The constellations are wonderfully clear and have viewed a number of Messier objects as well.

The cloud appears to be returning at present so I better get outside and take a shot of the Moon.

If I manage to get a shot I might post it on here tomorrow morning.

Forgot to mention but the Milky Way looks good.

Few planes have flown across.

Good Night.

Adrian

46 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Paul,

The hide at Wigton Bay is a drive from Drumroamin campsite, we park the car and walk about 100 yards along the side of the river. It is a well set out hide with glass windows and a lot of seating. Only we need to establish the tides as the path can get flooded in very high tides.

I will put the final bit of travel onto the thread tomorrow.

There should be people here to help with the erection of your tent.

There is a good facilities room which we use on the wet, windy etc nights for Whiskey Tasting sessions.......

Over the years we are now quite expert in this sporting event!

All the Best

Adrian

Thank you very much really appreciate that sounds like a well oiled machine and very friendly just what I thought it would be like.

9 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Thank you very much really appreciate that sounds like a well oiled machine and very friendly just what I thought it would be like.

Yes, We often get well oiled, when it's cloudy. ?

3 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

It`s early/late and very cold frost on car,very good skies,a little milky,view over --------back to bed,

Mike

you must of went back out, mind you skies were crystal this morning. going to do battle with this head either fix it or f!!!!!! it.

13 minutes ago, philthy said:

Yes, We often get well oiled, when it's cloudy. ?

hi Phil.

see you've got an eq6 r pro, just got one but its not slewing right Mike thinks the gears are locking up, any suggestions??

Hi Folks,

Well its Monday morning and none of here have to go to work......

The clouds came in at around 23:00 hours and left us with no alternative but to retire to Mike's static van.

Mike and Jamie then proceeded to assemble some new cables.

Sausages were put in the oven.

I went back to my tent to get my camera and write last night's report.

I returned to Mike's van where upon we had coffee and sausage buns.

By midnight the skies were stating to clear, I got my camera out and took some handheld shots of the Moon at 00:32 am.

Handheld I hear query, impossible someone said..... well as you see it is possible with an Olympus OMD E-1 mkii with a Panasonic Leica 100-400mm lens. Because it is a micro four thirds mirrorless camera with awesome stabilisation built in and it really works as you can.

So its Monday morning.... The Sun was seen rising over the Lake District and the outlines of the mountains there were also visible. Went for a walk in the woods with Lesley and Bud. A fair few trees have been blown over in the recent high winds.

It has clouded over since earlier and I am thinking of going birdwatching on Wigton Bay.

It appears that it will be cloudy for the rest of the day and the possibility of rain tonight, gives us an eligible excuse for a Whiskey tasting.

It is reasonable mild with no wind at present.

Have a nice day.

Adrian

Moon Drumroarin.jpg

2 hours ago, jamie56 said:

hi Phil.

see you've got an eq6 r pro, just got one but its not slewing right Mike thinks the gears are locking up, any suggestions??

2 hours ago, jamie56 said:

hi Phil.

Get rid of it and buy a 10 Micron........ 

?

Hi Paul

Down at the hide not much happening as the tide is fully out

Some gulls about 1 moorhen and shell ducks about 600 to 700 yards away

Extremely peaceful, normally there are oystercatchers and little egrets around

I cannot see the snipe nor the kingfisher that are usually here

There must 100 gulls in each of two groups 

Cheers

Adrian

Had a scare I emailed Lesley asking could she put me close to the toilets being less mobile got a email back that there was no booking could I confirm which Month I had booked , Lesley did say there was a stargazing event this week.

I emailed back that I was coming to that on the 5th for 3 nights and booked on the 8th of September. 

Good news found my booking overlooked me last night not using her glasses panic over yes.

23 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Paul 

Lesley told me this morning that she couldn’t find your booking because she didn’t have her glasses on 

Only when you mentioned star party did she remember 

I think she has you allocated to pitch 1.

All the best

Adrian

Is that not where Jamie and Dawn normally stick their caravan?

Adrian,

She has although I don't know where pitch one is or any of the pitches being no map.

I am grateful to Lesley for this though been checking out where we are going on the map looks fairly easy ( spoke to soon) bet I'm ringing up Friday say I'm lost?.

really looking forward to it supposed to be clear Saturday night so get a couple of you look through my scope see if you you think there is anything wrong.

I had it out couple nights ago at low mag looked OK but at high mag star had flares all over it dancing around in the eyepiece not good for looking at tight doubles which I bought it for.

Thank you and Lesley should have a brilliant time.

Hi Paul, 

Pitch 1 is the nearest to all the facilities with the exception of Mike's static van.

Jamie and Dawn are parked up by the middle hedge but as befitting such nice people they are first in line.

To get here from the A75.... follow the road to Newton Stewart, at the roundabout in Newton Stewart take the first exit to Wigtown. A714.

Just before Wigtown there is a right hand turn to Bladnoch, with the Drumroamin Camp notice on the grass verge on the left. 

Follow this road until you get to the distillery, go straight on over the bridge, and follow the A746 to Kirkinner.

Go through Kirkinner until there is a fork in the road, stay left and you will come to a Give Way sign, go straight on towards Garliston, after half a mile there is a woods on your right, take the left hand turn and follow the one track metalled road down to the campsite.

I don't trust Google Maps, trying to go south from the IoM ferry in Liverpool and Google Maps tried taking me to Southport......

Have a safe journey.

Adrian

PS if you miss the turning for Bladnock go into Wigtown, turn right at the t-junction drive past the co-op and take the first left turn to Kirkinner.

2 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Is that not where Jamie and Dawn normally stick their caravan?

hi Ian

were sitting on first row of the hedge now its higher amperage, lesley suggested it rather than pitch 1, not so far for me to walk when I TRIP THE BREAKERS !!!

35 minutes ago, jamie56 said:

hi Ian

were sitting on first row of the hedge now its higher amperage, lesley suggested it rather than pitch 1, not so far for me to walk when I TRIP THE BREAKERS !!!

Hope I have not put you out. Would not like to think I've upset regulars. Can you tell me what the amperage is on plot 1

Archived